Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm a first year keeper with one hive which is doing very well (started with two but one absconded). A gentleman in a nearby town has offered a split made in April which is in a 10 frame deep 2/3 drawn with a laying queen. He's asking $185. First two questions:Is this a fair price? Will this colony build up sufficiently to make it through the winter?(winter can be quite harsh in central Mo.) My other concern is with the possible introduction of mites and/or other pests to my existing colony which is pest free for now.Should the prospect of having two hives outweigh this concern? Any input will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...Is this a fair price..."
too rich for me. i'd be patient and make my own splits.
2."...two hives outweigh this concern..."
you cant hide from'em, your bees come into contact with'em at watering holes and gardens where they share with other bees- feral or hived.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would say he is way over priced, if you price everything out new you are looking at about $140 based on an average package bee price. You have no guarantee of them surviving the winter, most spring nucs sell for between $90 -$130. Dont worry about the mites, you might not see them but smart money says your hive has them, visiting drones will bring them in.

I sold a TBH made of cedar with bees for $200, and there were enough bees in it to make three 10 frame starter hives. I know it varies by area but I think you should be looking at $50 - $100 for what is being offered.

Also an April split that is only 2/3 drawn in one deep by now sounds a little weak, how old is the queen ? what do you need in your area for a hive to be considered strong going into the fall ? in my area it is two deeps full of bees and stored honey/pollen if they are not well on there way to that by now then they will not make it between now and sept, kinda depends on what nectar sources are available to you. In my opinion save your money and buy a spring Nuc or package

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike and OE! I think I'll save my money and see how my single hive does. Maybe split in the spring. OE I think you're right about the hive being weak.My 3# package also started in mid April is now two deeps full and ready for a another. What would you add,another deep to get more drawn deep comb,or a medium super? I'm 1/4 mile from an 80 acre soybean field so the late summer/early fall flow could be strong. To answer your question about winter: two full deeps are recommended here. Thanks for the help guys!..(gals?)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OE, after rereading your post I see you didn't ask about winter:doh:!I assume you were referring to the summer dearth of which I know little about.We have been receiving ample rainfall if that makes a difference

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...80 acre soybean field so the late summer/early fall flow ..."
unless they plant an older variety of bean (unlikely, the newer hybreds produce lots more and are round-up ready)you wont get any crop from this.
good luck,mike

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
unless they plant an older variety of bean (unlikely, the newer hybreds produce lots more and are round-up ready)

Around here, hybrids DO NOT produce more than RR beans. Conventional beans managed properly will outperform RR beans. Roundup Ready just gives you a bigger window of opportunity to apply your chemical program.

Many farmers around here are going back to planting part of their fields in conventional beans and corn to get the larger yields.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have plenty of nectar sources in the area so I'm not really counting on the beans. If they do produce however,it will be icing on the cake! Thanks for the replies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts