Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is mostly for Southern beeks I guess.
There's an apiary bout 160 miles south of here that has nucs for sale.
I'd like to get a couple more hives going this fall seeing as though package bees don't get shipped til we are halfway through our spring flow.
In a normal year we don't see high temps drop below 70 til the middle of November (if then) which if all goes as planned would give me approx. 10 weeks to get them built up. We get a fall flow most years in the end of September. Seems reasonable to me.
Ya think?

·
Registered
300 Posts
If they are strong with a 2010 queen and full of brood I'd go for it. I'd probably get them in a 10 frame hive body before winter. Check the mite situation if possible before buying; or have them treat a couple before you pick them up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You also might consider keeping them in 5-frame nucs with a 2nd and if possible 3rd box on top. This would allow the bees to move up naturally to feed during the winter. Also 5 frames would keep the bees from getting trapped in a corner.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'd go for it, especially if it was B. Weaver stock. Won't need to treat them.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with USC, keep them in nucs, Beeks rotuinely overwinter them here in two and three story nuc's, in a colder climate than yours. If you get more then one, place them side by side (touching) to share warmth. Good luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I guess it depends on price? I know back in March, I was thinking about buying a nuc or 2, but ended up not needing to. I have not bought anything this year except 1 queen to show it to some family since they were in town when I was in need of one. Check Craigslist tho, I see hives for sale on there all the time and they are usually about the same price as nucs.
http://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/grd/1836543918.html ?

C2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts