Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Oooofff..., some of the very queens some swear by other will swear at. There are so many variables that it'll be interesting to see if you get anything resembling agreement. This year was my first year to buy "name brand" queens. I only got 3, they've been accepted and are laying well but I don't have a year under my belt with them to even critique them. I bought them to add some additional known genes from a supplier that touts mite resistance. Otherwise I raise my own.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think a lot of people will tell you that the best queens for your area will come from your area. That way they (and their offspring) will be well suited to your climate. If you subscribe to that, keep your search to your surrounding states.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
bweaver is what I like. + honey production.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
B. Weaver, Russian (from any of the Russian bee breeders association members), and Purvis queens, although Purvis seems to be out of the queen business now.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Mite tolerance and survivability? Africanized. Without a doubt. I say that only half tongue-in-cheek to make a point. Consider that there are other elements that most beekeepers want, in spite of the drumbeat of VSH silver bullets. Such as gentleness, honey production, etc. Every race has uses and drawbacks, even the ones with the great-sounding ads in the magazines :).

I'd talk to beeks in your area and see who they're having success with. Maybe you'll find that someone regional even breeds quality queens! I think you'll have a lot more success with something that has a proven regional success record than a newfangled bulletproof super-bee from a different area. They really might be the miracle bee where they're reared, but that doesn't mean they'll cure cancer in your area ;).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts