Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My configuration is currently one deep and one medium. So I have not decided if I want to split to give me a third hive or just work on these two as to not swarm. However, by opening up the brood nest do you simply just remove a few frames and put in new frames not drawn out? Then what in the world do I do with frames of brood that I took out if I am not going to split? And you just pick, I think I read someone just pulling three out and dropping three back in, is this about right?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay I just read Micheal bush's site on opening up the brood nest, so my one question still stands, when I pull frames or brood out what do you do with them? I shake the bees off and then I have a frame with brood to do what with?

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you have empty drawn frames to the side of the brood next, you could always move the frames with brood out to the side of the existing brood nest. Then you could either put the empty drawn frames in between frames of brood, or you could introduce totally empty undrawn frames. Either way, it opens up the brood nest and gives the queen more room to lay. If you add new undrawn frames, you still move the frames with brood out to the side and the drawn frames that were on the side of the brood nest can now be used in a super.
Alternatively, you could just reverse the top and bottom hive bodies right now and let the bees move up to the deep. Then in a couple of weeks reverse again and add supers. Depending on timing of your flows, this might or might not be a good plan.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Okay I just read Micheal bush's site on opening up the brood nest, so my one question still stands, when I pull frames or brood out what do you do with them?
Make Nucs :D

If you don't want to add a bunch more colonies to what you already have then sell or give away the nucs you make.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with JPK, because if you happen to leave a frame behind in the original hive that you missed a queen cell on, the colony will still likely swarm. (Been there, done that, have the T-shirt!) But if you have a nuc that's even raised it's own queen, you can use that to requeen the original hive quicker than the original can raise a new queen. A cheap insurance policy in my book.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So in making the nuc would I just in a sense make a split or would I do an artificial swarm and take my old queen and put her in the nuc? How much do nucs sell for usually?

Also if I make a nuc what is the difference if I just let the hive swarm? Im still taking brood and bees, so would that still lower my honey crop in the original hive right?

·
Registered
359 Posts
>"So in making the nuc would I just in a sense make a split"....Yes!

>"or would I do an artificial swarm and take my old queen and put her in the nuc?"...might be counter productive if your goal is honey production.

>"How much do nucs sell for usually?"...around here $80-$100, or that's what you'll save if you make another colony from that nuc!

>"Also if I make a nuc what is the difference if I just let the hive swarm?"...about 70-100 pounds of honey, half your bees, and no backup plan!

>" Im still taking brood and bees, so would that still lower my honey crop in the original hive right?"...not to the degree if they up and swarm on their own. In fact, they'll probably do better being relieved of the pressure to swarm!

By the way, how did you manage to read Michael's website and reply to your own first question in 4 minutes....take a deep breath and read his site more thoroughly. I think most of the answers to your questions are there.:) He's the pro, I'm just an old beekeeper still learning about these fascinating creatures!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
haha yeah I am starting to fret as I want max honey production and dont want a swarm. As soon as I wrote that post I went to his site about nuc and swarm prevention. My mind races so fast I get crazy in thoughts and get overwhelmed.

So, thanks for answering my questions. I think my plan is to make a 5 frame nuc and open the broods nest to supply the nuc. I actually think I might just keep it and build another colony with it. But for now that is my plan and I will probably build one today and possibly supply it tomorrow or wait till next week. Again thanks!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
MS, do you intend to purchase a queen to supply the new nuc or let the bees make their own? I don't know the season too well in Mississippi, but around here there wouldn't likely be any drones to mate with the queen.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Im gonna wait a few more weeks to let them raise their own. I thought about the drones. The hives already have drone brood so in a few weeks if I see them flying around I will do it then.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
That's the problem with not having all the same sized boxes. If you did, of course you just move them up. Instead you'll have to be more creative. If you have several hives, you could pull a few from each and start a ten frame deep nuc...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts