Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Opening a hive after OAV?

847 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LarryBud 
#1 ·
Am treating a hive tomorrow (#2 on 5-day cycle). How long should I wait after treament
before opening the hive?

Thanks in Advance.

Jared

#2 ·
I think it is just 2-3 or 5 minuets or so. They Idea is to keep the vapor in the hive until it re-forms into micro crystals. The bees will be fanning which helps distribute the oxalic acid. If the hive is not relatively tight then the fumes can quickly leak out and then I wonder if the dosage will be correct.

#3 ·
My two cents from what I read-haven't done it yet but read as much as I could. 2-1/2 minutes for vaporization, disconnect current, wait 2-1/2 minutes more, remove wand, re-seal hive for 10 more minutes. Think that's the instruction. I built a top mounting shim/box and plan on doing it that way but just did FA and we're starting what looks to be a very good fall flow with lots of knapweed, goldenrod and aster everywhere here-rains been reasonable every few days-usually at night. Once we get to the end of the flow near the beginning of October, I'll be doing the 4 treatements over 20 dyas and a final, hopefully broodless after Thanksgiving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.