Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, great surprise. Two hives have more bees in them then I have ever seen in spring and one is a dink (2 frames of bees). The hive I donated to a friend did not make it. I returned most of the honey that I took off last fall between the three hives so they would have a better chance of making it to the spring flow. We were promised sun and warm weather today. The sun only lasted until I opened the hives but luckily the warm weather held out. One sting in the hand the little witch.

The girls did something different this year in the bottom box. They built out the bottom bars on the side closing off the space between the frame next to it. It was hard like plaster and tan in color. Not sticky like propolise, more like chewed up cardboard that was glued together. I am wondering if they didn't like the SBB wide open.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
"The girls did something different this year in the bottom box. They built out the bottom bars on the side closing off the space between the frame next to it. It was hard like plaster and tan in color. Not sticky like propolise, more like chewed up cardboard that was glued together. I am wondering if they didn't like the SBB wide open."

Brian, Mine did the same thing… it reminded me of clay....only noticed it on one frame and I believe it was from a hive with an open SBB….I went into the hives today, I am not sure if I should have done what I did, but I did reverse and removed the winter wrapping and cleaned up; In one hive I found moldy frames, and moldy BB (replaced both) and I found lots of stored granulated sugar on almost all the frames of all the hives (3) What do you think? too early? I tried to upload the pics but it failed a few times.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two hives that were packed with bees I did not pull frames out. I just pulled out the bottom box that was basically empty and many of the frames had this plaster on the bottom. I would say 6 of the 8 frames. Weird, I didn't notice this any other year. The dink was pretty empty of everything. It could be the bees were just robbing out the last two frames but it didn't look like robbing. I reduced the entrance and gave it some honey. We will see what happens in a couple of weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts