Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
crowd funding cash grab.

If they were true to the spirit of open source, they would just release whatever plans / stuff they have, and wouldn't have a website full of 'donate here' and 'support our campaign' with links to crowdfunding sites.

It's really not a big deal to have a hive kitted with sensors, neither expensive nor difficult. Surely no need for a crowdfunding thing to try promote some special hive design, that's just 'yet another top bar' setup.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Sensors to collect what data? All research is based on collecting data, sure I get that. But if you don't know what you are doing, and I am speaking of collecting data, then the data is useless.

·
Registered
76 Posts
crowd funding cash grab.

If they were true to the spirit of open source, they would just release whatever plans / stuff they have, and wouldn't have a website full of 'donate here' and 'support our campaign' with links to crowdfunding sites.

It's really not a big deal to have a hive kitted with sensors, neither expensive nor difficult. Surely no need for a crowdfunding thing to try promote some special hive design, that's just 'yet another top bar' setup.
I have to say that my thoughts on this are the same as you.
Their "open source" design is also designed for a CNC router which I am sure all
hip beeks have one in their workshop!
lol
Looking at their design I am certain that an old time beek who makes his own woodenware
can make hives faster and of higher quality.....

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found it interesting to see beekeeping related projects being crowd funded and open sourced.

While I don't know enough about this particular effort, I do encourage new thinking.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have to say that my thoughts on this are the same as you.
Their "open source" design is also designed for a CNC router which I am sure all
hip beeks have one in their workshop!
lol.
On the side...... FYI: I purchased our CNC over 12 years back. Cost me 38 k and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish it was still around. Even though the sucker helped burned our shop down I long for the day the pocketbook has enough left over cash to buy another one. We made some killer equipment with the thing. Any beekeeper looking to make innovative bee equipment can not live without one. I miss it so much that yesterday I told my brother that if he won the lottery the only thing I wanted from him was a new CNC.

·
Registered
101 Posts
On the side...... FYI: I purchased our CNC over 12 years back. Cost me 38 k and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish it was still around. Even though the sucker helped burned our shop down I long for the day the pocketbook has enough left over cash to buy another one. We made some killer equipment with the thing. Any beekeeper looking to make innovative bee equipment can not live without one. I miss it so much that yesterday I told my brother that if he won the lottery the only thing I wanted from him was a new CNC.
Actually laughed out loud, thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Homemade CNCs have become very popular with hackers or "makers" so getting these cut in most metropolitan shouldn't be an issue. I too am glad to see people trying new things, though I'm not sure what the point of crowdsourcing this particular project is. They should just release the models to the public and be pleased with the fact they may have done something great.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The whole "crowd sourced" funding mechanism is one that is quite beyond me. Seems like a system ripe with the potential to hop, skip, and jump to another planet with the blood sweat and tears of other folks. Crowd sourced and Madoff are just two cousins bent to stream the same code. Kind of like a CNC that has lost its code and decides to cut where the heck it wants. I still have one lid where the drill pattern for the cleat holes missed the command on a z axis uptick and the bit took a big rip right across the center of a lid. I'd bet there are a lot of crowd funding victims who have felt the same way about the use of their money.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I found it interesting to see beekeeping related projects being crowd funded and open sourced.

While I don't know enough about this particular effort, I do encourage new thinking.
Pretty much all of the beekeeping crowdfunding projets I saw looked a lot like rip-offs. I saw a guy somewhere, don't recall where, that was asking for people to "sponsor" a hive to save the bees! Usually one pays to acquire hives, but not this guy, he had people paying him for him to go get hives...

I really don't see the point of this project. Why does a hive model matter at all? It's pointless. Data can be collected just as well from a normal lang hive. And as that is what most people have, then if data is what you want, normal lang hives should be what you are after, not some new fancy custom-made hive model. All they need to do is tell people what kind of sensors to buy, where to buy them, and how to hook up the sensors to a cloud network data storage. No need for crowdfunding. I'm rather skeptical about the intents of this guy.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
This was mentioned last Fall on the SABA Google group I read. I was surprised to discover that apparently "public" CNC machines are now available for hire in some communities. Perhaps it helps that I live in an area (Upstate NY) that has a long history of industry and tech innovation (and a well-known engineering school -RPI) so CNC machines for hire would find enough takers to make owning one to rent out economically viable.

But the whole crowd-funded, esoteric ways of data collection within specially-designed beehives (for which the CNC macines are needed to make) set off many complaints about why people needed trendy solutions to age-old bee questions. There were predictable fault lines between the older and younger beeks.

On the Bee-L list serv. there was recently an announcement of a call for papers to be presented at an upcomming conference about technologcally wired hives and a proposal to start a professional society for same.

It seems that these days, bees have got way more buzz than usual.

Enj. (Who contents herself with sticking her instant read kitchen thermometer in through the upper entrances to take the bees' environment's temps on frigid nights. It's surprisingly warm in my hives, contradicting studies that I read which said that the bees' clusters are warm, but the inside air isn't. Don't know what that signifies.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I miss it so much that yesterday I told my brother that if he won the lottery the only thing I wanted from him was a new CNC.
Don't get me wrong, I too -NEED- a CNC router but I doubt many beeks have one.
Wish they did.
Better, that -I- had one, and a big one at that.
I would expect a CNC'd plywood hive to have a short lifespan with serious treatment of the ply.
As another poster mentioned, why use a new hive design?
How about a simple pcb for the instrumentation?

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you ask me, the project starters are just looking to have other people buy a CNC for them. From their posts I read on their forums, they sound pretty clueless about beekeeping, and favored trendy approaches that would be more likely to gain backers than practical solutions that were more likely to gain results.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I don't have a need for what they're offering, I think that it's worth taking note that this is happening.

It is an interesting sociological event in my opinion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just a cash grab. People looking to get money from deep pocketed do gooders being sold the save the bees speech. Looks good to unknowing urban dwellers who get suckered into buying into or investing money with no real return.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts