Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from you old timers. ;) (not that any of you would be considered old);)

I have two hives in deeps and one split and one small captured swarm in nucs. Right now one nuc and one hive have a queen. The other nuc (swarm) is only a week old and I'm not certain they had a queen when I got them (acting weird) so I gave them a frame of open brood and eggs from another to make a queen if needed. The one hive was making swarm cells so I took the old queen and some bees and made a nuc. I really think they should have a laying queen by now. I'm checking everyone tomorrow morning. Okay, long story short.:waiting: Everyone has an entrance feeder on right now except for the small swarm in the nuc. I have them in a cardboard nuc and no place for entrance feeder and I do not have any frame feeders. I bought a small chick waterer to try to open feed them with. I know that is usually a no-no especially around hives that may be queenless b/c of robbing. Heres my questions: Do you think since all the others are being fed in the hive that I probably wouldn't have a robbing problem? I really feel I need to feed this nuc as they were not a large swarm and possibly queenless. I want them to have a good leg to stand on. If I were to use the chick feeder how close to the hive do you think would be safe?? Thanks for any thoughts!!:)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I had 8 hive last year and one 5 gal feeder no problem. Screen the hole in the feeder to keep the bees out when it go empty.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hey,
I recently bought a 1 gal chicken waterer to do the same. I put wine bottle corks in the trough all the way round so the bees would not fall in. Worked great. I had the feeder away from the hives on the other side of my house and had no robbing issues. I had no hives on entrance feeders. The larger hives take the lions share.(obviously) I did it a couple of times to give them a boost. One small swarm, a split, and a nuc. Made it easier on me to "gang' feed. I did take a small amount of sugar syrup I had and put some wintergreen oil in it. Bees took it too! Hope the Varoas like it!
rick from So Md

·
Registered
238 Posts
This past sunday I started playing around with open feeding with the bees I have at my house (2 production hives and 4 nucs). Mainly because the girls were getting into the wifes hummingbird feeders. Used a chick waterer and they ignored it. Even when placed beside bird feeder. And even when bird feeder was removed. Set it ontop of a hive and it was empty next day. Refilled and watched to find that I'm drowning a good number of bees. Going to scrap the chick waterer and can't suggest using it. Would like to know more about other folks open feed set up too. Would like to set something up close to deck so I can watch em work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never intended to open feed, but... my bees decided that was what my hummingbird feeder was for. They all cram on in there and share, no fighting or any such thing. Perhaps not ideal, but so far they're all playing nice. Ants can't get to it, which would be my only honest concern with open feeding. There are the occasional wasps there with the bees, but the sheer number of bees there seem to keep the wasps behaved.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha well they haven't found my hummingbird feeders yet this year but last year they were relentless...poor hummingbirds. I just got the one little chick waterer, the one you put a mason jar on. I put it out this morning about three feet in front of their nuc and it was empty in two hours. Soooo I guess its safe to say someone was hungry. I filled the bottom with rocks and didn't have any drownings. I use a bigger chick waterer for a water source for them. I added some HBH to the sugar water and they found it pretty quick. Same for the waterer, I added a few drops of LGO to entice their interest. Well, I guess I'll know more when I open them up tomorrow. As of now, I guess I'll continue to give them feed in front.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The syrup never lasts all day in my one gal waterer and i pick it up as soon as the bees ahve left. don't have ant problems. I do have\had problems with the Humming bird feeders and ants. Mine are on sheperd poles. I take an auto hand grease gun and lay a nice bead of grease all around the pole. works great. Seems you could hang your waterer for the bees too.
rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts