Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know this can and likely will start ANOTHER discussion about open feeding and you are welcome to advise me and others about hive robbing, feeding feral and others bees, feeding wasps and many other critters but…….

If and when I use a bucket for open feeding how far away from my hives does the feeding station need to be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Know this can and likely will start ANOTHER discussion about open feeding and you are welcome to advise me and others about hive robbing, feeding feral and others bees, feeding wasps and many other critters but…….

If and when I use a bucket for open feeding how far away from my hives does the feeding station need to be?

Thanks.
OK, hwg -- I'm a novice (this coming up is my 4th summer with the bees), but .... when times get lean for the Girls, I open-feed. Yeah, I know lots of folks are against that -- for perfectly logical reasons -- yes, this also means you, Nancy! -- and I always see yellow jackets and bumblebees and wasps around, but ... as far as I can tell, my bees get a boost out of it. I have never seen robbing behavior in my hives because of it, and The Girls were always hungry/eager for groceries. Initially, I kept the "feeders" (actually, only shallow plant-pot dishes) on my patio, a mere 30' from my hives, but later I was advised by an old-time beek to at least put the feeders in the front yard of my house, away from the hives. Did so. I kept lots of wine corks and small stones in the "feeders" so the bees wouldn't drown.

A problem I had with frame feeders was that between feedings, the SHB's would use the feeders -- as syrup levels went down -- as hotels for laying maggot eggs, and it seldom was a good situation. Mind you, I didn't have the usual feeder that goes atop frames above the top hive body of a hive. That may be a different animal.

And .. as for feeding feral bees ... I don't have a problem with the idea. Yup, I know about the possibility of disease transferal, but I'm wiling to take the chance. The Girls probably are, too! Re: wasps/YJ's ... they kill lots of vermin in my veg. garden, so... fine! They never sting me unless I stupidly do something that offends them and don't pay attention.

Just my (novice's) 2 cents .....

Mitch

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’d do a minimum of 50 yards, but would prefer 100 to 200 yards. I would also have robbing screens on. If you need to open feed, robbing is a concern whether or not you are open feeding.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ml,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree there are many pros and cons but if I feel that it will help my bees then "open feeding" might work. Of course robbing can happen even without any extra feeding but with open feeding distance seems to be a key. Max. distance I can get is about 50 yards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts