Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have about 20 colonies in the same yard that might need fed this spring, some are stronger than others. I would like to open feed, mainly because I am lazy. My other option is my one gallon frame feeders in each hive. Anyone experience with open feeding? Will the smaller colonies get their share? Bad idea all the way around? Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't really like open feeding but I do it anyway on special occasions like today when it warms up and is going to stay warm for a couple days. I use a 5 gallon bucket and drill a line of small holes above the little rim mix in about 25# of sugar to a little water then turn it upside down. It seems this time of year all the hives get their share. Big hives get a lot, little hives get alittle. They don't seem to storm the buckets to bad this time of year they are more after pollen.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Think about it a while and you should be able to answer your question yourself. What are strong colonies? The more populous. What are weak colonies? The less populous. So who do you think benefits most from feeding from the trough? The small pig or the big hog?

Get off your butt and be a beekeeper. Do your job.

·
Registered
152 Posts
it is like sqkcrk said ,I do a lot of open feeding also i like it is fast and easy to do .I think the weak hives get enough to keep them alive till it get warm and they all start building up, In most cases i think the weak hive will remain that way until the queen is replaced.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get off your butt and be a beekeeper. Do your job.
Spoken gently as always sqkcrk. :D. I mean this with all respect, not sure how old you are, but you remind me of my father. He would have said something along the same lines, but would have use another word besides butt. I m guessing you would have too, if it weren't t for forum rules!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think open feeding has its place in beekeeping, I open feed using a gallon pickle jar I drilled about 40 very small holes in the lid and inverting the jar in a frame I built from scrap plywood. I place the feeder about 100 feet from my bee yard and have not had a problem with robbing. I also restrict the entrance of the hives during springtime until the build up begins.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a stand with an inverted 5 gallon bucket on it about 100 yards away from 14 hives. The lid has about 50 small holes drilled into it. I don't want to overfeed, and this seems to just feed them at a trickle. No robbing issues.

Like Sterling said, the big hives get their share and the little ones get their share...at least it seems that way.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
1 gallon is not that much feed for more than a few hives. I would put that on a hive fall and it would be gone in a day.

Open feeding is what it is, if you have alot of hives and want an easily solution. If you don't know of any other yards near by then do it.

You can invert jars on a drilled outer or migratory cover, Otherwise plastic frames feeders with tunnels or ladders is probably the cheapest, easiest, fastest solution.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a few hives in a few different locations. The hives all have a secure amount of capped honey but I will put out a bucket of syrup on a warm day if it is going to stay warm for a few days to give the bees somthing to do until some real nectar becomes available. It will put something in the hives they can use without gathering water when they get locked in by a coldfront. I will also put out alittle dry pollen substitute for them to work.
If a hive is really light I would suggest putting feed directly on that hive.
To me the combanation of these is part of doing my job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts