Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding inside the hives trying various methods..
- Using an entrance feeded inside an extra deep on top of the inner cover with good results.
- with a top feeder, tried floats, tried a screened restrictor for bee access. Lots of dead (drowned) bees.
- 2 gallon pail feeder inside an extra deep setting centered on the hole on the inside cover. Good results although the bees arent taking the feed at the same rate as the plastic entrance feeders. (I've up'ed the number of holes to give better access and set the buckets on 3/8 spacers with good results.

Comb production seemed to be lower than I have been reading in the forum so I thought possibly they are not getting enough feed. So I took my trusty yellow plastic entrance feeders loaded them up and set them in front of the hives about 15 feet or so. WOW after a cpl hours they were cooking with bees and in 4 hours empty. I kept the other pail feeders under a deep on inner covers as well. After 2 days I can see a difference in the comb production. I noticed there is still interest in the inner feeders but the outer "open feeders" are mobbed.

Do you think it's because more of the forager bees are prone to feeding outside rather than inside? Nurse bees inside feeding? Or just honey robbing frenzy?

In any case I am not going to do it all the time as they are little piggies and I don't own shares in the sugar industry yet.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1.more of the forager bees are prone to feeding outside ...?
nope
2.Nurse bees inside feeding...?
nope
3.honey robbing frenzy?
BINGO!! that brings in feral bees, your neighbors bees, and in a dearth the thievin' italian mutts i have will suck'em dry, then attack the weakest hive
good luck,mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a new product on the market for feeding and it has worked GREAT!
1. It is an inside bucket style feeder, but with lots of holes.
2. Sits right on top of the frames, so there is no long trips to the feeder.
3. Hive beetles can not get inside the feed bucket...and there is no trough system for them to lay their larva in.
4. ONLY requires a medium super box...not a deep.
5. Easy to clean and store when finished.
6. Holes can be cleaned with cap scratcher or poke a few new ones.
You can check it out here for further information collinsbeefeeder.com

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was using the frame feedesr when I first purchased my hives. They were taking ALOT of syrup (a 2-liter a day per hive). I got tired of veiling up to open the hive to feed them, plus I was drowing alot of bees seeing how they were completly filled with bur comb. I was new (and still am) and didn't know any better. I finally reasoned a top feeded would worked better for everyone so I made one myself.

Not only am I no longer drowning bees, having to veil up, or expose the hives to myself (or myself to the hive:rolleyes:), but now (no more after tomorrow) I can go out anytime, pop the top and see right into the hive with no disturbance. In fact, they are also how I was to immediatly discover I have hive beetles. So now I get to make some screened bottoms. :D Party at my house!:lpf:

Later, John

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's full size with a glass bottom. I had about 1 1/2" of syrup in it when I took the picture but it's so clear you can't even tell. I have to stick my finger in it to tell how full it is because it's so clear. You can only see the one end of the feeder but they come up and over on both ends to feed. I'm considering making one with a center entrance to the feeder. They weren't cheap compared to other feeders. About $35 for the materials (plexi's not cheap). I used 1/4" plexi. Could save some money and use 1/8" but I wouldn't fill it up as much because of the weight.

Later, John

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here is the one beetle I was able to see through the feeder during a feeding. He's on top of one of my brood builder patties in a new hive.

If there is one, I'm sure there will be others. Time to take action now.

Later, John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts