Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for info about drilled entrances,AFTER I drilled allmost all my hive bodies,and finding that they seem to work great,decided to search on drilling supers too.
One thing I picked up on is that most of the posts advocate corking up all but the top.
I was(am) leaving them all open,since early spring,with a wide open bottom on established hives,(bottom cleat 3" open on nucs/packages until mid may),notched I.C.and think this is working good.I will close up some this fall/winter I think.
I would like others opinions/experiences,anybody else set up hives this way?Hive bodies?Supers?
Even with all the entrances the bees seem to have traffic bottlenecks,the bees prefer the upper holes.
THANKS EVERYONE

·
Registered
702 Posts
At the bee coarse, when asking the teacher about it, he wasn't in favor for top opening, all he could say is, natural bee cavities, like trees, only have one opening.

It seems, not favored around this neck of the woods, but I do have it, so far the bees like it!
Konrad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.