Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if I made a major oops or is it no big deal. I just finished painting my hive and I got carried away and ended up painted one side of the inner cover and the complete bottom board :s Then read in my beekeeping manual that I wasn't suppose to paint those parts. Will this cause any harm to my bees? I feel like such an idiot right now. :cry:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I will not cause any harm as long as it has a few days to completly dry and cure. No need to worry

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yeah, just be careful not to spoil them any other way...next thing you know, in addition to paint, they'll want drapes and carpet. :lpf:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You’ll be ok as long as you used pink. :D: :lpf:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Post script - no reason to feel like an idiot...trust me, you'll make much worse mistakes than that with your bees over the next few years. Both you and they will survive... but ya simply gotta have a sense of humor! As you've already noticed... :popcorn:
Regards,
Steven

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
It wont hurt to paint the inner cover but I ALWAYS paint the bottom boards inside and out up and down or where every water can stand.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I build everything except frames from scrap wood trim from our factory. It comes primed with three coats of acrylic paint all sides so my girls have nice white walls everywhere they look.

They've been getting on me about doing something with the frames lately. Guess I spoiled them a bit.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Then read in my beekeeping manual that I wasn't suppose to paint those parts. Will this cause any harm to my bees? I feel like such an idiot right now.
If I am not mistaken, Barry paints the inside of his hives. I don't, but if he does, then your mistake isn't a too bad of one.

JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN! :lpf:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I paint both sides of my bottom boards so I can use them on either size. No biggy. I only paint the outside of the top cover though and nothing on the inner cover. I think your fine though.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I prime and paint bottom board. I make it out of notched 1x2 with 1/2 ply in the middle. 3/8 on one side and 1/2 on the other so I can flip it depending on mood. Glued and 1 1/4 inch.

Boxes prime and paint the outsides. Inside is just wood. Glued and 1 1/4 inch stapled.

Top I make out of 1/2 ply with 1x2 edges and 1x2 ripped to 3/8 on same pattern as box to seal it. I prime in and out and only paint outside. Glued and 5/8 inch stapled. Basically migratory covers.

Frames are just frames with black plastic cell snapped in.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Put me down as painting the complete bottom as well. I just figure that it makes them last longer. I make a point to give bottom boards many coats just for this reason.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I paint the outer sides and the landing part just into the hive. I don't paint the bottom and only ever use the larger side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts