Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had made my first mistake, and I sure hope it can be fixed!

When I put the bees into the hive, I put a supper on top of the brood box without a queen excluder. The queen was left in her cage for three days, plus the four days of shipping, so on the 7th day, I released her into the hive. Today, I checked the hive to make sure she was still in there, and noticed that the bees are only drawing out and filling up the supper frames, while they have done very little if anything with the brood chamber. I now realize my mistake of adding the supper.

What I did:

took the four frames from the supper and put them in the brood chamber, along with four brood frames, and then removed the supper. My logic was that they will at least have some frames ready for eggs in the brood chamber, then they will migrate to the other frames, and eventually I will switch out a frame at a time.

Have I done the right thing? What should I have done, or what should I do?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If they are both mediums you won't have any trouble. If you put med frames in the deep they will draw some comb on the bottom of them, not really a problem either.
You might not get the bees off of those frames until you're queen starts laying in the second brood box, again not a big deal.

Most people don't add the second brood box until 8 of the frames in the first box are drawn. Honey supers aren't added until the brood boxes are almost completed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan! That makes me feel better that it is not a big deal. I did put med in a deep, so I guess they will just draw it out at the bottom. Good thing I have extras! lol!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
He was right. No big deal. Actually I would have rather left them just like you had them rather than mixing them up in the deep super. You have just given them plenty of room to work. The bees have no problems with it and will eventually work all the frames. You will find that there are a lot of differences of opinions on comparing double brood chamber to a single. What you have set up will work well also which is a medium or a shallow super on top of the single brood chamber. I use a single brood chamber and I always leave a full shallow super on the brood chamber with no queen excluder. This gives the colony plenty of reserves over winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Billy!

Do you think I should put it all back like I had it before they get too busy drawing out the wax into the empty space?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You would be better off shaking all the bees into the brood box, putting a queen excluder between the brood and honey super. The bees will start to draw out the brood chamber fast and the nurse bees will move up to the brood in the super but not the queen. Once they hatch out they will back fill with honey as the queen can't lay in that comb. You are going to have a real mess shortly if you have mediums in your deeps.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
keep 'em in one box (the deep) untill 7 or 8 frames are drawn to help them defend against wax moths, SHB and robbers. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Welcome to the group, Tuckerman! And I've got news for you....that won't be your last mistake! :lpf: We alllll make them.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I left 2 medium2 in a deep by accident. The drew out the bottom of the frame IDENTICAL to the depp frames, spacing and all, so I left them alone...If i only could gt paid for my mistakes with my bees, I would be RICH i say....Rich. Thats how we learn...and every beek learns differently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts