Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a split go drone only laying queen a few weeks ago (she never layed right). After dealing with this and figuring out it was a bad queen I found her and disposed of her last weekend. I split part of this hive into a nuc, and put a frame with a mix of eggs, larve, and capped brood in both the nuc and the original hive. These donor frames came from a strong queen right hive. When I checked both the nuc and the hive this week they both only have 1 queen cell. I would have expected multiple queen cells on each donor frame since both the nuc and the hive were queenless, and this is what I have seen in the past

Did both the nuc and hive decide to only make one queen cell because the frame smelled different, because of the time of the year, or something else? Has anyone else experienced this?

I know this is not a great time of year to be starting a queen, but it still seemed odd to only find one queen cell/hive.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
they are not in the mood... too late, too dry, too small..
not enuff fresh young nurse bees
not enuff pollen/nectar coming in
I quit cell building quite a bit back, diminishing takes.. IIRR the last round was 6 out of 90 grafts
the spring freeze+ the drought is hitting us bad, and the sugar shortage is about to really hurt us

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are not in the mood... too late, too dry, too small..
not enuff fresh young nurse bees
not enuff pollen/nectar coming in
I quit cell building quite a bit back, diminishing takes.. IIRR the last round was 6 out of 90 grafts
the spring freeze+ the drought is hitting us bad, and the sugar shortage is about to really hurt us
Sounds reasonable, I will see if these queens take. If not I will do a newspaper recombine with one of my other hives.

When was your last round of grafts?

I didn't know a sugar shortage was on the way, maybe it is time to get another bag or 2.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I sure am glad having few spare mated queens just sitting around in the little mating nucs.
No more issues with "queen-less" hives.
Pull a spare and plug it right in.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure am glad having few spare mated queens just sitting around in the little mating nucs.
No more issues with "queen-less" hives.
Pull a spare and plug it right in.
Maybe I will keep an extra nuc next year for this reason. With 2-4 hives I dont think it is worth keeping lots of extra queens around.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Maybe I will keep an extra nuc next year for this reason. With 2-4 hives I dont think it is worth keeping lots of extra queens around.
You don't need lots.
You just need a couple.

I still have three spares at the moment - in foam mini-nucs - does not take lots of bees/resources to just maintain a queen (how it should be).

Sold a couple already.
Gave away for free a couple.
I may sell off a couple more as I need to consolidate.
People are always screaming for a queen all way into the winter, just the way it is.

Just by very crude methods and junk salvaged from the recycling bin - one can make and maintain all the queens they ever need.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
^ this
makes queens when its easy so you have a few on hand when things start failing in the fall...

Changes your beekeeping, it did mine
When you pull a queen out of a 3-5 frame nuc to use her and it now has to be combined with a queen right hive it feels like a loss of your hive count (and it often is). Pull a queen out of mini and shake out the cup of bees to find a new home and its just harvesting a queen

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I may never get into grafting (will see), but going forward the mini-nucs are to stay with me.
Loving it.
Very happy I went for it this summer.

So many benefits at dirt cheap resource investment.
One of great features of the mini - queen parking.
At the moment I got two minis with my own queens and one mini with a parked, random swarm queen.
I see never a need to pinch queens going forward.
Why?
Much better to park any extra queen for a stand-by.

People happily pay 1/2 price for a random queen or for 1-2 year old queen (or maybe even a full price).
Go and find yourself a queen in September or October or November.
ANY queen - good luck.
Well, I got a queen for ya, sitting in that cooler box.
No shipping cost either.
:)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
^ this
makes queens when its easy so you have a few on hand when things start failing in the fall...

Changes your beekeeping, it did mine
When you pull a queen out of a 3-5 frame nuc to use her and it now has to be combined with a queen right hive it feels like a loss of your hive count (and it often is). Pull a queen out of mini and shake out the cup of bees to find a new home and its just harvesting a queen
I have been combining my minis.
:)
I pull a queen and combine the minis into a bigger mini.
Need to scrounge for bigger cooler boxes, now that summer is ending.
LOL

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Did I stump everyone?
:) maybe just very busy...I have read Walt Wright’s work on swarm cells/supersedure cells, how the bees can and save wax in the hive for this usage. It seems the bees make those cups well in advance of using them. I wonder if there were no cups on the frames you transferred and/or they are not making much wax now. I know around here this year the bees are not drawing out frames that well at all. Has it been the same your area? Just a thought, it might be totally wrong too.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Need to scrounge for bigger cooler boxes, now that summer is ending.
have you thought about cutting off bottoms from the size you have and stacking them up?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
have you thought about cutting off bottoms from the size you have and stacking them up?
My mini-frames are free standing (not free hanging).
So it is easier to make mini-long hives (not mini-multi box).
I did it so that I can take most any cooler box and line up a row frames into it - no need for precise fit.
Could easily stuck them up too, but it will be frames standing on top of frames - kinda cludgy.
A single cooler is just easier to move around.

Will see.
If any spare queens are still around, might as well, keep them into the winter - nothing to loose.
A guy I know takes his minis into the basement if have to - so he says.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:) maybe just very busy...I have read Walt Wright’s work on swarm cells/supersedure cells, how the bees can and save wax in the hive for this usage. It seems the bees make those cups well in advance of using them. I wonder if there were no cups on the frames you transferred and/or they are not making much wax now. I know around here this year the bees are not drawing out frames that well at all. Has it been the same your area? Just a thought, it might be totally wrong too.
Interesting thought. One of my big hives is still bringing in honey (they had lots of new honey filled burr comb this week), but that doesn't mean the small hive and nuc was creating more wax. Both the hive and nuc were forced emergency cells after chasing down a drone only laying queen.

Most of the frames in my hives and supers this year were already drawn out. In one overwintered hive (hive #3) the bees did extend the frames (running 9 in a 10 box) and fill most of 3 supers, along with drawing out 4-5 frames for cut comb. My other overwintered hive (#2) did not do much this year until I caught them swarming. After catching the hive swarming they raised a new queen and are started going well after that. I added another box to a hive (#2) today because they were about out of space and filing the hive with burr comb.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My mini-frames are free standing (not free hanging).
So it is easier to make mini-long hives (not mini-multi box).
I did it so that I can take most any cooler box and line up a row frames into it - no need for precise fit.
Could easily stuck them up too, but it will be frames standing on top of frames - kinda cludgy.
A single cooler is just easier to move around.
Have any pictures? I am not getting my head around visualizing this very well.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Have any pictures? I am not getting my head around visualizing this very well.
I will post an update with pictures into my own "blog" (the alternative ways).
Soon enough.
In fact, look them up - there are pictures already.
I make no secret of my own non-conventional ways.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
A guy I know takes his minis into the basement if have to - so he says.
I have exchanged emails with a II guy who does the same with apideias in finland (adds a top feeder)
liz huxler over wintered hundreds of 4 way shallows in BC :eek: https://vimeo.com/161651142

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will post an update with pictures into my own "blog" (the alternative ways).
Soon enough.
In fact, look them up - there are pictures already.
I make no secret of my own non-conventional ways.
Google didn't help me find your blog. Searching the alternative ways and the alternative ways beekeeping does not seem to bring up anything relevant

1 - 20 of 22 Posts