Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will eggs and brood be present in the second hive body? I see only comb with nectar and honey. I placed the second hive body on top of the first two weeks ago. Mike

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well I don't have enough info. Is the lower box full of brood and some honey in it? If so as soon as the brood start hatching they will start moving up. You need the bees to be almost over flowing from the supper below for them to jump right into the next supper. It depends also on you honey flow, and how many bees you have in the hive. If its warm and things are going good then you can take a frame or two out from the bottom hive just to get them started in the upper body but then again its the amount of bees you have in that hive that determine how fast they move up there and able to keep the expanded brood nest at the proper temps.
Dan

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The theory when the 10 frame deep box was invented was that it was an adequate size for a brood nest. Some queens will not lay more than 10 deep frames of brood. But sometimes, some will lay two mostly full, or lay parts of three full. I wouldn't worry about it. The bees will do what they think they need to. If you think they have started filling the bottom box with honey and haven't opened up the top box for her to lay, I would remove some of the honey frames and put in some empty frames for them to draw and the queen to lay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I did put two filled frames of honey in the second deep before I placed it on top of the first deep. That was about two weeks ago. I'm not worried. These bees are going to make it in spite of my best efforts. Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts