Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of taking a online course or two for fun. Anybody take one they liked? university of Montana ? Penn state? N .C. ? Ohio university? Humbolt state?Thanks for any help charlie

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Read and reading and reading and more reading! I like the scientific mumbo jumbo so thought the university classes would be a bit more vocabulary oriented? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used the Penn State course last year and overall found it helpful. The interactive nature was nice.
I mostly signed up for the access to the staff, hoping to use them as a mentor and was a little disappointed. I probably had expectations that were too high, but i did not find that part as useful.
They have some special rates at times, that i noted after paying full price.
a

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I'm looking for a good on line course as well - not so much for personal knowledge gain - but rather to see their approach to teaching beekeeping and subjects they view as important to include in a beginning beekeeper class. Why? Lots of Bee Clubs up this way partner with Cooperative Extension to put on courses (I've done that for the past two years) and I'm now working on a curriculum to make the experience consistent across CE offices - at least covering the same topics.

I'd be happy to post my work in progress to my web site if anyone is interested.

In the meantime I'm in search of a good beginner's course on-line.

Is Dave Tarpy's class still up?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for a good on line course as well - not so much for personal knowledge gain - but rather to see their approach to teaching beekeeping and subjects they view as important to include in a beginning beekeeper class. Why? Lots of Bee Clubs up this way partner with Cooperative Extension to put on courses (I've done that for the past two years) and I'm now working on a curriculum to make the experience consistent across CE offices - at least covering the same topics.

I'd be happy to post my work in progress to my web site if anyone is interested.

In the meantime I'm in search of a good beginner's course on-line.

Is Dave Tarpy's class still up?
The university of Montana's courses look to be the most thorough but they are expensive comparably and they are less available. They are also set up to certify you as a master beekeeper! So all the university rules apply ie: prerequisites and text books and the like. I have e mailed them but no response .

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I looked at the UM web site - the apprentice course is not scheduled to be offered. As a former UM student, a would not hesitate to sign up for the class. They do need to offer the class though. And I can't say going out to Missoula for the final hands on class excited me. (I was there last summer and it was HOT!)

So my search for on line bee education continues.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i have a hands on beginner course i'm offering this summer. it's really affordable. includes lodging, and you can read all my beekeeping books while you are here. but you'll have to put up with my brother some.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a hands on beginner course i'm offering this summer. it's really affordable. includes lodging, and you can read all my beekeeping books while you are here. but you'll have to put up with my brother some.
Sweet! When is enrollment ? If i don't get some help soon I'll give you my empty hives after I kill all these poor bees! Sign me up! Your brothers not that bad! Well kinda bad but probably worth it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts