Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was out in the garden and something landed behind my ear. Naturally I swatted it and my own bee stung me. I had to mourn the loss, however went up to the house to try this remedy and it does work !! No stinging feeling, just swelling and redness. There must be a natural anti-septic or neutralizer in the onion slice. Took about a minute to react, but works good so far. Can't believe it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
onion works well for skeeter bites, too; as does crushed basil leaves.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought there was an issue with posting pictures in the past. Missed the link. Already knew what they looked like. Trouble is finding some in my yard. The plants like to grow in disturbed soil, which is a rare case around me. Later on, did find some, however, too late to have any effect. Tastes yucky too. I prefer the onion since my wife loves to cook with them... Always an abundance around here....

·
Registered
730 Posts
So I am confused... Why were you eating the plantain? You only need to crush it up a little and place it in the sting.

Do you eat the onions for relief, or just place some on the sting.

Curious...

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How about garlic? I like the smell of garlic more than onion. And is that what is in the sting relief stuff advertised at the top of this page? Personally I find that thyme works well. Is that the correct way of spelling it? I'm such a poor speller.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got tagged last night on the back of my thumb. I tried the Onion thing (we had tacos for dinner) and it worked great. the sting stopped after about 2 minuets after I put the onion on. After rubbing the onion on for 5 or 6 minuets I stuck my thumb in hot water and that also seemed to help. Usually I swell up pretty good, but today it's just a little bump, not much more than a mosquito bite and very little itch.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got stung on the end of my index finger Monday evening. Later that night, I could literally feel my heartbeat pulsing in my finger and boy did it hurt. Tried cold compresses and then finally hot water with salt. That seemed to help after awhile.

I'm going to try the onion trick next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts