Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys make ur 1:1 SPRING FEED?

if I have a 5# bag of sugar how much water do I mix it in?

if I have a 25# bag of sugar how much water do I mix it in?

Also do you heat the water to near boiling ?

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
1 to 1 means
equal parts of each, regardless of how you measure it.

1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar

5 cups of water
5 cups of sugar

hope this helps

I don't know if you can do it by pounds, not sure that would work. But most bags of sugar tell you how many cups are in the bag as well.

You could do as an example
gallons of water and
gallons of sugar

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mountain Man, I use about a pint to a pound. A four pound bag of sugar in a 3 quart jug. Hot tap water and shake until clear, let settle and shake a little more. A little more sugar than the pint to a pound ratio but I had plenty of them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
one pint of water for every pound of sugar. 5# bag = 2.5 quarts of water for 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind that 1:1 and 2:1 and whatever other ratios you see are guidelines. close enough is close enough for the bees.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>How do you guys make ur 1:1 SPRING FEED?

The easiest method for measuring sugar for syrup is by weight, since water weighs a pound per pint (close enough) and sugar comes in bags labled by the pound. So a pint of water for every pound of sugar works well. If you want to make less than a whole bag of sugar, then measure the sugar by the pint. A pint of sugar is close enough to a pound. I don't make 1:1. On the rare occasion I'm feeding syrup, I make 5:3. It keeps much better and I don't have to haul as much syrup.

>if I have a 5# bag of sugar how much water do I mix it in?

For 1:1, five pints.

>if I have a 25# bag of sugar how much water do I mix it in?

For 1:1 25 pints (3 gallons and 1 pint)

>Also do you heat the water to near boiling ?

For 5:3, definitely. For 1:1 it has the advantage of making the syrup keep longer, but 1:1 isn't that hard to dissolve in tap water.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I once accidentally made a batch 1/ 0.95.
You son of a... somebody hold me back before I pop this joker in the mouth for his bee abuse! My father was a bee, you monster! ;)

I usually just fill the jar mostly full with sugar, fill with hot tap water, and let it dissolve. Sometimes I'll microwave it for a minute or so if its refusing to dissolve fast enough for my liking.

Its beekeeping, not rocket science. As long as its really, really sweet, the bees generally don't care what the exact ratios are beyond "Make it thicker in the fall so that they can dehydrate it easier".

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess I,m different than every one else but I don't feed 1-1. I mix mine 2 parts sugar 1 part water all the time. but if you want 1 to 1 a gal of water is 8 pounds so 25 pounds of sugar 3 gal of water. I just don't like that much water and it 30 degrees

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I have about a dozen recycled clear, gallon, plastic jugs. I fill the gallon jugs, half full of hot tap water, add 1 teaspoon of citric acid crystals, then add sugar until the jug is almost full (about 5 pounds of sugar). Then I screw the cap on tight and shake a few times - by then the sugar is dissolved. I don't know exactly what ratio it is, but I use it whenever I'm feeding, any time of the year. I have yet to have any go bad - even when they sit there for almost an entire season.

Our water is from a deep community well (at least 300 feet deep). It is naturally low in microorganisms, so is usually not treated with chlorine or any other antiseptic. Perhaps this is why it keeps so well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts