Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adrenaline is still pumping... I needed to pull a split off a hive today because I've got queens that need hives.

Well, I guess I'm a few days late for getting into this hive. It was queenless for a few days while I requeened for new genetics (old bees were MEAN). During that time, they filled up the upper brood box with honey.

Now the bottom box is packed with bees. I guess they want to swarm, although I saw no swarm cells. But the bees are HOT... it got so bad I couldn't see through my veil. Eventually had to take off running when they started stinging the ankles.

So now the hive is sitting wide open, boxes apart on the ground, bee suit is in the washing machine (to get the sting-smell out of it), and I'm nursing a ton of bee stings!

Something tells me they're still gonna be pissed when I go back out later. Of course now I've got a box of old frames filled with honey... so I'm swapping in frames of foundation to give them something to do.

starting to ache now....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Were you using a smoker?
If not, I would when you go back.
If you were, when you go back, I think I would have that thing blowing smoke like and old train, so much smoke you almost cant see.
Sorry to hear about the ankles too.

C2

·
Registered
105 Posts
that how it is when i move em from crop to crop. i had it so bad onetime i was sprayin myself with bee be gone like you use on fume board. mostly i smoke myself an air around it looks like a brush fire when i work the testy ones.

id be getin me a epi pen. cheap insurance

·
Registered
58 Posts
once you make it queen right it should settle down. They dont like being without the queen and will take everything as an attack. Get some boots and good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
once you make it queen right it should settle down....
This hive is queen-right... but I needed some frames of brood for a split for a queen I had shipped to me.

I was using smoke... more smoke just made them more angry! Tried sugar water too... but that didn't help for long.

Went back out about 3 hours later... after showering and washing the bee suit... and putting on some nice heavy boots. No more stings, bees were a little calmer. Was able to put some frames of fountation in and move things around to add a 3rd brood box, so they'll have something to do.

And the ankle is now very swollen; came inside at about the point that I couldn't walk on it anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts