Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught four swarms, one was queenless so we introduced a mated queen and they accepted her. When I was up watching them fly around yesterday, I noticed that they'd closed the entrance off with propolis about 3/4 of the way. These bees also tend to surround the entrance and kind of walk around with each other. This includes foragers coming back with pollen. They are in the mix and seem to be communicating on the front of the hive. None of the others have exhibited this behavior.

Sad I didn't get the queen from their swarm. :(

Anyone else have bees that do similar? The opening is only 1.25". When they first got in the swarm they seemed to chew all the wood down smoother and I only recently noticed them closing it off. They've been in there since June 5th.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had a Carniolan hive that propolized their entrance closed that way but they did it in the fall. My supposition was they were getting ready for winter. I suppose they also might do it for defense or to better control their hive temperature.

I had a MNH colony clean around the entrance hole. Looked like all the rough edges got taken down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same thing with a swarm I caught. I'm not sure if it's related, but they don't seem to be doing a lot in drawing comb....I'm curious to see if you have the same experience.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have drawn the least out of the four and they were the first captured. But I gave them a bar of eggs/larva so they may not have had as much need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts