Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming tomorrow - FINALLY - yay!

One question I did have. I'm using built up comb this year, and in fact, 6 frames of honey/pollen with empty comb in the middle.

I use medium supers.

So since the comb is built up, since they already have capped honey, and pollen, should I put 2 medium supers on at installation (both with the same number of honey/pollen frames and built up comb) or should I just start with one super? Since they're mediums, and most people start with deeps, I thought maybe I should use 2, especially since they really won't have a lot to do at first, having such a head start.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
the way I see it good reasons could be given for both scenarios, putting them in 1 or in 2.
and choosing one over the other will not be fatal. That comb is key.

I think I'd put them in two so that they can work over the comb, cleaning etc., all at the same time. This way they don't need to be messed with for a couple of weeks and by then they should be settled in.
They should get to work building a balanced colony in no time. Good luck with them.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I would start with 2 boxes, but put all stores frames along with one drawn but empty comb frame centered in the bottom, and in the top box one or 2 frames with stores, and the remainder of the top box either foundationless (my preference), or with foundation.

Phil

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! My inclination is to go with 2 mediums, so that's good.

Philip, do you think that just one empty frame in the bottom might not be enough room for the queen to lay?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would put frames of honey on the outside leaving the center frames of both boxes empty for the queen to lay. Just like the bees would do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts