Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried making a Nuc this spring without success. Borrowed 3 full frames of brood/bees with a syrup frame to the new hive. For about 6 weeks was looking fine and suddenly much less bees entering, exiting. Opened it up and there where only about 50 bees with no queen. Wonder if the queen was killed. She was in there for a week and released by them. Also, had to scrape off and clean up the wax moth issues. No foul smells of any kind. Guess it was just not meant to be.....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bummer, Swede. Try another nuc next year!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I bought four nucs, and made six of my own (let those six raise their own queens). Two of the four bought nucs crashed, 2 of my six likewise crashed after the queen was laying... sometimes you just don't know. But based on experience, I'm going to make up 12-15 nucs next year. It's rather fun watching them raise their own queen, and grow to a full sized colony. Kept the entrances small though, to help them protect themselves.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you use a frame with eggs and larvae, the worker bees will discover they have no queen. They will then build the queen cells they want around certain eggs or young larvae, and start feeding them a substance called Royal Jelly. It is this Royal Jelly that causes the larvae to develop into a queen. A worker bee is a female with undeveloped ovaries. There is something in the Royal Jelly that stimulates the development of the ovaries.

A queen doesn't lay a "queen" egg, she lays fertile or unfertile eggs. Fertile eggs become workers, unfertile become drone. The workers make a fertile egg/larvae into a queen, via the Royal Jelly feeding.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
SwedeBee1970 says... She was in there for a week and released by them.

I bet you lost the queen on the virgin flight, probably to a bird or something. I've had that a couple times here this year, lots of birds swooping into bee flight all the time in front of my hives.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts