Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two packages on the 6th. The weather has been on and off in the 60-70's. I have the Mann Lake top feeder on both hives. I'm feeding 50/50 and one hive is going to town on the syrup. The other hive seems to have no interest on eating. They both seem to be bringing pollen in and seem to being doing there thing. I will open the hive in two weeks to check them out. What could be the cause of the one hive not taking feed?

Thanks,
Jaamin

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
One hive could have alot less bees in it

One hive may rather work for it's food instead of taking the free meal

Something is wrong with the feeder and they can't take the syrup or something in it is repelling them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting...I'm seeing the same thing with my 3 hives. I started them last year and all 3 survived the winter (mild by our standards).

I put hive top feeders on one week ago. Daytime temps are anywhere from 5 to 17 C (sorry not so good on the convert to F) and night temps are around 1-8C or so.

My strongest hive is devouring the syrup (I'm using 2.5 quarts with 7 lbs sugar). My second strongest has taken some of it and the third very weak hive hasn't touched it. Not sure why as all equipment is clean.

They are all bringing in pollan but there aren't too many things actually in bloom right now so not sure about nectar.

Would love to hear what others have to say!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I checked at dusk and the hive not feeding was feeding a little more then at noon. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts