Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use a queen clip and it works great. I use it a fair bit. Mine were super cheap and I've given some away, came in a package of 6 or something.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
This thread needed an update! This summer I noticed these one handed queen catchers similar to what Mann Lake advertises https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Lake-Ha...ocphy=9008180&hvtargid=pla-307267106780&psc=1

Are now available through Amazon at a much lower price. They are a must for me as my hand control is far too spastic to even consider hand catching or manipulating to mark. I use them to move queens into introduction cages or push in cages or even to lend and move queens on road trips to other keeps. I have 4 at present. Amazon.com : willz 3PCS Marking Marker Cage Bottle One Handed Queen bee Catcher Holder/Wasp Catch : Patio, Lawn & Garden

As purchased most of them need a slight modification. The flexible tongue that slides in a groove to capture or release the queens is a friction fit and a bit too stiff to work one handed. The two halves of the body are retained by a pair of Phillips head screws. The friction is between the edges of the strip and the clearance (interference) to the sides of the groove needs to be increased by shaving or sanding 5 or 10 thou. of an inch off. Careful! material over removed is hard to put back! Similarly the detent that holds engaged position of the foam topped plunger which presses the queen against the marking grid needs to be softened for easier one handed engagement or release. Again, very little needs removed.

The hair clip style is not a tenth as functional for being able to release a queen into a 3/8" hole or softly hold her against the marking grid!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got one years ago before i trusted myself to catch and mark by hand. Now the One Handed Queen Decapitator is used only to hold the queen until the paint dries. Catch her by the wings, mark her, let her crawl into cage for a minute, release on frames.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I got one years ago before i trusted myself to catch and mark by hand. Now the One Handed Queen Decapitator is used only to hold the queen until the paint dries. Catch her by the wings, mark her, let her crawl into cage for a minute, release on frames.
Yep, that is good if you can manage it. You still have to take care when closing that or any cage on the queen that you do not squish her. People with calloused up and gnarly fingers can have difficulty with the gentle touch needed to do the initial grab.

Are you perhaps leading the jury with your nicknaming of the "one handed queen catcher" ?:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Objection! Your honor!
Frank(ly) the jury is unleaded nowdays. Lead was phased out years ago due to health concerns. The jury now has to make their own decisions....
But yes, any queen cage will do, I still reach for the Decapitator. I guess just out of habit....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts