Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have already picked up 1 and am picking up 3 Sun..likely from the same supplier as pannu96:)...unfortunately it is to rain this weekend.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I haven't heard of any delays yet, but I think there will be..
Really what makes you think that. Perhaps for the northeast and great lakes, but the south up to ohio valley is running about normal.

We're still ontime for April 6th. For you northern folks it will be a question of if you want them when its still cold.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Lloyd what was your delivery date?" My delivery date is April 1. If I get moved I will not know it until late next week or early the following week. Not good news that Ron's got delayed by 2 weeks...but my supplier is more than an hour south of Ron's.

We also got 6"+ of snow this week, but today will be 50 degrees and the red maples are (finally) blooming.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Really what makes you think that. Perhaps for the northeast and great lakes, but the south up to ohio valley is running about normal.

We're still ontime for April 6th. For you northern folks it will be a question of if you want them when its still cold.
What the weather is doing in our area doesn't matter, what does matter is what the weather is doing where the packages are produced. Once date changes start it is a domino effect on everybody down the list. If a supplier pushes back delivery by two weeks in March it is unlikely that the will be caught back up in April or May.

I try and work with suppliers who have reputations for being on time... Others have chronic delay problems even in the best of years.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It doesn't make any difference if all the queens are junk, because they didn't get the queens mated right. I would take a two week delay to get a product that will produce. Weather play a big part in what you are going to get. Sorry to say some producer don't care, and sell the bees knowing or hopeing things don't come back to bite them. $$$$$$$$:digging::bus

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I think in any business the operator should be able to know their limits of what they are capable of and what they are not, especially after being in the business for 4-5 decades.. But some guys over book every single year and because of that have delays every single year. In many cases it has nothing to do with the quality of the queens, they just can't shake any more bees out of their hives and have to give them time to hatch out.

And getting the bees you ordered is always better then getting a big fat refund when June rolls around ;) I have seen that happen before and it happened last season to some people... End of April became mid May, then early June... Then the refund checks came through. When that does happen I start getting calls from people looking to order bees because their orders got canceled... Unfortunately it is usually too late for the season.

Last year I sold a bunch of packs the week before delivery to customers who had ordered through some place out of NJ... Honey bee headquarters or something like that; they refunded money and stopped replying to emails and calls.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
New York City Beekeepers have posted a 2 week delay on package bee delivery. Let the ball start rolling.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The problem is they is getting to be a lot of new players in the game and they don't know what they are doing (beekeeper wise). All they can see is the $$$$, and the fat deposits that they run there operations on with there customers $$$ for 6 months before sending there $$ back. Some hopeing there customer call and cancel so they get to keep there deposit $$$.:digging:

Been doing business with my supplier for almost 20 years and they are a keeper. The delays are for the best interest of my business and there's.

www.adropofhoney.net

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If the new players get their act together they might come in handy when Canada re-opens the border. It will happen eventually and we will see the opposite of 86/87. Instead there being a surplus of packs and outfits going out of business there will be an extreme shortage and all the big outfits will be shipping to Canada again. Why deal with 100s of small re-sellers when you can send 20-50 K packs to a single buyer at a higher price?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Don't see it. The bee business is nothing today like it was back in the 80's. If Canada opens there borders again is, because of the problem that is at hand.:ws:
The Extreme shortage started 5+ years ago. Sorry it isn't going to get better, because my orders keep getting bigger. Supplier have dealers for a reason. Everyone wants to become a dealer with the markup of $20-$50 a package. Just not enough good supplier to go around.:waiting:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I don't believe there is a shortage... We have a bubble for sure.

I have seen penned contracts already waiting for the border to open... Contracts that offer northern retail prices for packages by the semi-load. From a business standpoint can you imagine the profit margins that could be made if the large package suppliers shipped to a single customer? The way it would work is that a Broker in Canada would handle all the paperwork and all the packages would go through the broker... The broker handles all the smaller orders and distributes to the retailer.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don't believe there is a shortage... We have a bubble for sure.
I can't say for the rest of the country, but there is no bubble in the Rocky Mountain west. Suppliers in Colorado and surrounding states have sold out the last few years with buyers being turned away.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The bottle neck is at the suppliers end here in the North East. If I could predict how many packages I can sell I can supply everybody who wants bees. The last two years I was able to add on 50 packages right before pickup. Last year I added it on with the same supplier I use now, but the year before I went to another supplier and got them added on.

Package producers usually have cancellations right before pickup and will have extras available on a weekly basis. I still have packs available as I haven't sold nearly what I did last year, but the cold weather and this years price increase has likely had an impact. I may even be cancelling packs myself this year. I am hoping to find a local club or another dealer to sell my excess to as I would rather haul them then cancel them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts