Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share the progress on the swarm I caught at the beginning of the week. I decided to open up the hive yesterday afternoon to see how they were doing. This is my first year going foundationless and I'm just in awe at how beautiful the comb is that the girls are making.

I started to worry half way through my inspection. I was seeing LOTS of nectar being packed away and little pollen, but no eggs and no queen. Finally, the ninth frame I pulled, I saw a few eggs and then I spotted her. The queen is a beauty (aren't they all) and she's almost black in color. All queens I've ever had in the past, from swarms or packages, have been Italian. These ladies are productive and gentle. I'm quite pleased.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
When I first started I always put the swarms I caught on drawn comb but now I think that is a mistake,(swarms have the instink to draw comb) I now give them one frame to attract them and the rest foundation, it is amazing how fast a swarm draws comb :applause:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Congratulations Earthchild. Sounds like you have a fantastic little colony started. Coloration is great isn't it? Always something different. Swarms draw out comb very quickly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a hive of Carniolans and the queen is very dark, not black but dark carmel. Also very gentle. Maybe that's what you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts