Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all quick question just going to seal the roof on my tbh can i mix olive oil with beewax insted of linceed oil if so what ratio should i use
the only reason i ask is because it will take me a hour to get linceed oil and i have olive oil in my kitchen
also do i put them both in a pot in a pan of water and heat thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
hi all quick question just going to seal the roof on my tbh can i mix olive oil with beewax insted of linceed oil if so what ratio should i use
the only reason i ask is because it will take message a hour to get linceed oil and i have olive oil in my kitchen
also do i put them both in a pot in a pan of water and heat thanks
I can't exactly answer your question because I haven't tried it but in oil painting generally you can use nut and seed oils in your paints but I haven't ever heard of olive oil being used. It may just be due to color, I know it was once used as lamp oil. Walnut oil and poppyseed oil are the most common substitutes I have heard of being used instead of linseed oil with poppyseed oil being the preferred oil due to color and aging properties. There is a specific type of oil painting medium that uses beeswax mixed with the oil but the recipe I had also calls for a dryer element such as lead or cobalt ... you have to understand this is a very old-world recipe. Anyway, hope this was somewhat helpful.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Vegetable oils, if I understand correctly, should not be used as wood finishes because they never dry. As such, they tend to be eventually washed away. Additionally, there is a tendency for vegetable oils to eventually become rancid. Naturally, there is a bad smell associated with that condition. I'm a new beekeeper, but I've been woodworking for years, and olive oil finished have always gone rancid for me. Since bees use their smell so much, I do not know how they would react to the smell of rancid olive oil.

I don't know if mixing beeswax with the olive oil changes these properties substantially. Perhaps someone out there has tried this; this is just my two cents.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,500 Posts
I can't imagine olive oil being a terribly durable finish alternative for something outside 24/7. I'd consider buying a known good oil and waiting for it to be delivered or going to pick it up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Food grade mineral oil is used to season cutting boards. Should work well in this application, too. NOT baby oil....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure you burn or put outside anything that comes in contact with the linseed oil. my daughter spilled some and didn't clean it up i came along with a paper towel tossed it in trash and almost burned my house down. It started a fire within several hours in my basement the flames were licking the ceiling when i got down there. linseed oil is very dangerous.
dave

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
I put tung oil on the outside of my hives before I got the bees. I'm wondering if it's ok to put a second coat on later this summer? Would the smell bother the bees?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I doubt it would bother them. I know folks who paint theirs with the bees in them...

I put tung oil on the outside of my hives before I got the bees. I'm wondering if it's ok to put a second coat on later this summer? Would the smell bother the bees?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts