Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own a jumbo cowen with serated knives?

I have fixed several component on the uncapper. And now i am faced with the knives going to far to the right. I know i fixed it once a while ago, but dang if i can remember how. Right now they are banging on the spring side.

Things hubby and i have done...
1. Replaced the upper chain drive sprockets
2. build up the knife shaft and replaced the knives, springs and heater hoses
3. replaced the drive chain on the wobble box and replaced the slip clutch
4. changed the gear oil in the wobble box
5. built up the shaft which holds the off set bearings to move the knife shafts back and forth for cutting.

Thanks for your help

HS

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Do you have the springs tight enough? You have to get a bar on it just so and get some pretty good pressure on it.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When you say it is on the right side are you saying this as you face the feed end?

On my cowen there are bushing/stops that are on the knife shaft that have a set screw so they can be moved on the shaft. This stop is on the shaft at the cam/lobe end. Slide the shaft inside of the stop to move the knife away from the carriage.

Is it possible that your shafts were removed to put the new blades on.? Then when they were reinstalled they got switched around (back knife is now the front knife?)?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so what you are saying is i might have changed the shafts around?

when i stand facing the feeder, the motor and the wobble box along with the knife springs are on the right side.
The collar for the knife set and the frame guide set are on the left side

thanks BeeSlave for the help

Edit....No the knifes could not be switched. The one shaft got built up so I know it is in the right side...I will double check though

that color for the knife set is also the stop?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim and Beeslave, thanks for the help! It was much appreciated.
Hubby and i worked on it, then started it up. However since hubby did not have the shaft lined up, we blew apart the flexible joiner. We have sinced called Cowen, set it right, and blew something else. Now it seems to be working and we have some parts on order from Cowen...because we patched it together to work for a few days (hopefully). Thank you sincerely for all your help.
HS
PS lining up the shafts set the knives in place...again.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Flexible joiner? Is that the lovejoy coupler that connects the cam shaft to the gear box that runs the feed chain?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is. Hubby found a newer version..he called it an upgrade...in the shop. Our shop is filled with many years of saved goodies from a couple of generations of farming. Hubby learned to fix everything even if it is on it's last legs from his father. He did a good job too.
Hubby set himself up an area on the farm for a junk yard and fenced it off. He dragged all the old cars, tractors, threshing machines, old impliments that are too old to work any more, all the junk on the farm. He and his father use the junk to build, repair and manufacture things they need. How they find these small things I will never know... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts