Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that you should have a rotation strategy for getting old wax out of a hive every so often. Is this true? How do you accomplish this? I run all mediums, 8 frame equipment (although I'm experimenting with narrow frame, so I might be nine soon). Is there a way to label the frames so you know how old they are? How do you keep track of it all when frames move from place to place (e.g., from the brood chamber to the honey super, vice versa, or making splits, etc.)?

I'm just starting out (on my way to 5 colonies), and I want to do this right. Everything I have is a year old or younger.

Thanks for your help!

Take care, --Logan

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just limit your replacement of frames to those that have accumulated large patches of drone cells. Frames can last for many years. OMTCW

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I write on the frames. Seldom do the bees cover the markings so much that I can't read them. If you get dysentery or Nosema, it can block out the writing but when that happens, I usually junk the frames anyway.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I tried writing dates on frames, but abandoned that idea. Now when I do spring clean up & inspections, I just pull out the worst looking comb and replace those frames.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You can move a drawn comb out and insert a frame of foundation in it's place.
For example: Move the # 1 frame out, move the # 2 frame to the side of the hive and insert a frame of foundation.
The # 1 one frame is out of the brood nest, # 2 frame is now # 1 frame and the new frame is in position # 2

Ernie

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If yours are a year old or less don't even consider replacing them. They work for many years before they're too old and need replacing. When they're black and full of old cocoons is when you replace them. :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have started doing like indypartridge and just do it visually. Sometimes comb that is only a couple seasons old is worse than comb that has been around twice as long.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Since you run all mediums. you could use drawn honey super frames to rotate out a couple frames a year.
Let the bees draw a new honey super on a good flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts