Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Could you post it Andrew? I'm curious too. Also, do you know what the gray ones are? I'm thinking carniolian but don't know. I have a colony I got from a barn that look just like that.

[ December 14, 2006, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: wade ]

·
Registered
528 Posts
I thought that an Old Sol employee/owner was on this board, haven't done a search, you might consider it. (Not that I expect anyone to disclose their shortcomings with their bees.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes he is on this boars from time to time.

He doen't keep a certian (kind), these are the bees that could swim.
As it turns out they tend to be darker in color. I don't think he has the 2 choices as stated in the web page. You will have to ask him.

I have had no issue with them, give them a try. You will never know if they work for you unless you try.

This is Oregon so get these queens later in the summer. Our springs here are wet. We know what that does to maiting.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
We've looked over his web page and discussed bees with him by e-mail. We are trying 50 as a test run for some of our 2-queen units which will happen the 3rd. week of May. We rotate our suppliers about every 3 yrs and order from at least 2 suppliers every year to keep our "imported stock" fresh. I like what I read on his site, I hope his queens do well for us.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've heard that a few generations ago, their stock tended to be a little "hot", but that they were beginning to settle down a bit. Can anybody confirm that?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Anyone know if this is owned by Sol who used to post on yahoo's Organic beekeeping site? I haven't heard from him in over a year, but I know that he was trying to build a business.
Waya

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I don't think it is the same person. I think that was a younger person just starting and this operation is since 1997.
http://oldsolenterprises.com/

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
"JBJ" is your guy. You can check posts using the search function. Take a look at the "Quote on treating and genetics from Randy Oliver" thread in the Bee Forum to read some about his approach.

[ January 06, 2007, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: coyote ]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
OD,
You're right, Sol did strike me as a younger fella. I didn't even make the connection that Old Sol had been in business so long.

Thanks, Waya

1 - 13 of 13 Posts