Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been working in the bees all day today. A pleasant surprise….a queen with a white mark. 2016 vintage, vsh from Johnny Thompson at Broke T Apiaries.
Starting her fourth year. Plenty of brood....good pattern.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
nice i have a yellow mark queen that has survived ( so far) her second brutal upstate NY winter.
She took a strong colony through winter 2017 and i took a few splits off her last year. Looks like she has again brought her girls through the cold and I will graft from her this year.
She was a queen that i had grafted from 3 day old larvae in spring of 2017.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I’ve been working in the bees all day today. A pleasant surprise….a queen with a white mark. 2016 vintage, vsh from Johnny Thompson at Broke T Apiaries.
Starting her fourth year. Plenty of brood....good pattern.
Wow. That is impressive. You need to graft some queens from her. I have a couple of yellow-dots from last year, but I think they were both late season (2017) queens. 18 months seems to be all that I can keep a queen viable.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a white dot queen from Michael Palmer. Made some queens from her last year and she is one of my breeders for this year. Always a very strong hive.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 5+ pound swarm I trapped has a yellow marked queen. Again, one of Johnny Thompson's. Starting her third year and vigorous enough to produce a huge swarm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts