Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying a new twist on an old idea. Used a quart mason jar, and a 10 inch piece of copper tube. The idea is to be minimally invasive to feeding inside the hive. They seem to like it as well. This is a weak hive that i am trying to get up to par before winter.

Mounted and 3/8 inch hole drilled middle of the hive on the bottom deep

about a minute after install

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
first bee finds it about a min and 30 secs after install

within 2 minutes we get busier

I like the idea as it requires no extra boxes and only a 3/8 inch hole in the box. Pre drilling wood screws keep everything from splitting.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Looks like it should work just fine. It looks like the wooden mount is attached to the upper box, if so how do you refill? Threading the copper? tube through the hole in the mount may get tricky after its been bent a few times.Keep us informed on how it works.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is. The hole the copper is fed through is 1/2 inch so it comes out really easily. Tested it a coule of times. No rebending required

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice, you can leave copper elbow in the box all the time, just put a copper cap over it when not feeding. Pictures tell you-it works

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Devdog,,,,
I tried that with plastic aquarium hose and gallon plastic jugs. That didn't work,,,I was getting ready to try with a solid container,,,,Just like a hamster feeder. :D:D Nice job
I'm looking to use a gallon pickle jar,,,,,or similar,,,, don't have to open the hive. Think the plastic hose would still work?
Thanks for sharing
Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that too Rick. the problem is getting it to vaccum seal. With the copper, you can get it hot enough and with a small amount of flux and solder, it will seal itself. If you can get it to seal, yeah, it will work. I soldered the end of the copper tube completely and then drilled a 1/8 inch hole through the solder. I didnt the first goround and the vaccum gave and soaked the bees....If you bought the jars at walmart and about 10ft of copper, you could build 10-12 of these for about 20$. I have seriously considered selling them for those that can't or dont want to build them themselves....including the makesift stand...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I tried the same thing once. The issue I had was that when the sun came up and heated the air and the jar I got a major surgar water dump in the hive from the expanded heated air. The at night I got major cooling and it sucked lots of air ito the jar as eveything cooled. Then in the morning the dumping was worse and continued to be worse everyday as the amount of air increased. I hope it works better for you than it did for me. Good luck! Maybe you could solve what I never did. I just went back to the old standard.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What is the purpose of feeding this route verses poking some holes in a mason jar lid and inverting it over the inner cover. I'm not trying to sound like one of those guys that claims there is only one way to do something. Because there are hundreds of way. I'm truely wondering what makes this feeder beneficial and practical. I'm just learning would really like your feedback.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Staying out of the hive is the main idea and thinking on it. trying to leave them undisturbed.....thats my main purpose on the smaller hives. I usually open feed, but some of the splits are too small to forage on their own at the very beginning. Most are nurse bees...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
What is the purpose of feeding this route verses poking some holes in a mason jar lid and inverting it over the inner cover.
I have lots of lids with holes and place mason jars on top works fine. I also have 50 frame feeders that I use also. I like the jars because I can see how much they are taking and all I have to do is refill them.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Dev d
Soldering the tube end is what I missed,,,,,how bout if you soldered an end cap on a 90 degree and drilled some 16th or 32nd holes:scratch: be just like a tiny jar lid and might eliminate some of the heat/cooling issues:)
BTW I had a good seal on the plastic tubing to mason lid,,,I had drilled a hole that the tube just barely would go into,,,,seal was fine,,,,,atmospheric pressure pushed the sides of the plastic causing a small tsunami till it equalized,,,good thing I tried it with water outside the hive first:lookout:
Now I have to go to the hardware store!
Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i hear ya, I always set mine up outside on something and let them sit overnight to see how bad it is gonna be if it does release....The problem i think with the cap is th size hole you have to drill. I guess you def could, but i was trying to stay at 3/8 because its smallenough for them to propolize....I just went and checked the feeder, and its completely gone. I pulled the lid to see if it was wet inside and it was not, bees all over the end of the tube...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I wouldn't think they would propolis the source? If left empty too long,,,humm,,,,,Now I'm starting to think rubber grommets??

I have this image of a 55 gal drum with all this tubing running to all these hives:D:D:D "Yeah,,,we've genetically engineered these bees to blow the honey into the tubes and fill the drum,,,,,don't use the extractor anymore":lpf: "Got the idea from the Maple syrup guys in Vermont runin all that tubing from them trees,,,,think we'll just run the tubes to the honey house next year."
Sorry,,,I get carried away sometimes

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
913 Posts
Are you saying you've soldered the tube shut at the feeding end and then drilled a hole through that? If so, might want to double check that the solder is lead free....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is lead free, made dang sure of it.Its silver solder... and Rick, that is the funniest thing i have heard all day, i needed the laugh

1 - 20 of 35 Posts