Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know not a good idea to feed honey I don't know the back story on.
I have a full deep. The corners of the frames look a little sketchy, but don't see any wax moth or small hive beetle larvae. Just got this last night. I'll extract it today.
What to do with the wet frames? The cappings?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If old honey it may be crystallized and not extractable. I would worry more about one or the other of the foulbroods or nosema as they can remain infective for a long time in comb, but the odds are it is OK.

I experienced an infection of European Foulbrood from I dont know where, so I am still a bit gun shy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's from last season and the guy said he wanted to downsize. Maybe just winter kill. I'll verify and decide. Hope I can extract..would like to use frames right away.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
241 Posts
I had about 15 frames of honey/sugar That I pulled off my few hives when I moved them down to a single deep with queen excluders. You could see the sugar in some of the frames. I wish I would have separated those 4 or 5 frames out. When I extracted last week I noticed that maybe some of the sugar had settled down to the bottom of a few jars.

The bees were happy to clean out the frames which I put about 250' away from those colonies. Even they left lots of sugar in the areas that the bees stored last winter. The honey cells they cleaned up very well. I processed the cappings as well. You may also want to get the frames heated up some to make it flow easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts