Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to bee keeping and need some advice on what to do with a old hive that was given to me, it is 3- 10 frame deeps high and we moved it a week ago,all when well with the move.I opened it up today and checked a couple frames on the top super it was full of capped honey no signs of anything else.It took some doing to get the frames out.(alot of propolis) That was as far as I went,I did set a shallow super on top,but I didn't do anything else I wanted to get some advice first. This hive has not been touched in approx. a year.My plan was to change everything over to all 8 frame in the spring and maybe even do a split,but I need to know what to do for now it is a very strong hive and I don't want to mess it up. Can I pull the top super off and keep for myself? and if I do should I add another medium in its place? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Pull the top super off and look at the box under it. If there is good stores in that middle box, then you should be able to pull off the top box and add a super. If there is not enough for winter and you are not expecting any fall flows, then you maybe should not take it off. It might be best to talk to a local bee keeper or see if you have any local bee club you can see how people in your area configure their hives for over winter. Maybe someone in here is from your area and can give you more specific answer for your location.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you have an extractor you could extract just a few of those heavy deep frames and let the bees fill them back in on whats left of your local flow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts