Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked it up for free and I am in the process of removing all the rust off the non aluminum parts.
I don't see how it works though and that is hopefully where one of you comes in!
Here are the links to the pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mercury996/Extractor#5502037725614363586
http://picasaweb.google.com/mercury996/Extractor#5502037732510047890
http://picasaweb.google.com/mercury996/Extractor#5502037735964536674
http://picasaweb.google.com/mercury996/Extractor#5502037742646194130

Its basically a 35 gallon stainless drum (in the pictures I have the "guts" removed for cleaning but you get the idea).
In the the 3rd and 4th picture its next to a 6 5/8" frame and a brood nest frame to give you an idea.
The frames don't fit in between the aluminum gap so I don't know how its supposed to hold the frame in while spinning. Am I missing pieces or not putting it in right?
I can't find any brand or label on this (only thing is stamped on the aluminum is Alcoa which is a metal fabrication company that obviously made parts for it.
Any help much appreciated....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey

My guess is that you are missing a couple of pieces. I would be willing to bet that there were a couple of baskets that were bolted to the frame and that this was a two frame extractor. My two cents worth.

Perry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May I ask what about it makes you think its two frame (completely naive here).
I guess I figured it held 4 just because of the 4 sides/slots.

There is no bolt holes on there for a framed screen to attach but maybe it was clamped on... Who knows!
I suppose I will have to rig it to work as I wouldn't find the parts I am missing in a million years. Wouldn't even know where to look.
You gave me an idea though I might have a metal fabricator or welder make a frame up for me that can have a wire mesh on it to hold the frames in place while I extract....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Merc

My guess (and that's all it is) was based on the picture, I could only see holes on the frame on one side of the angle. If there are holes on all four sides there is no reason it couldn't be a 4 frame extractor.
This should be a real easy thing to set up. Just have someone (if you aren't handy) make 2 (or 4) baskets to hold a deep size frame out of stainless mesh and bolt to the frame (using stainless nuts and bolts). If you are real picky, you could give the tub a quick coat of a product called Camcote to cover up the galvanized material.
Given what you paid for it (nadda) :D it would be worth your time.

Perry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not stainless steel. That is galvanized. The inside used to be wrapped with harware cloth and so was the bottom. 4 frame tangetial
Where is my brain today? :doh:
Don't know why I said stainless, sad part is I even worked in a sheet metal fabrication shop for a few years so I should know....

I am in the process of figuring out exactly how I want to go about re-wrapping the "cage". I don't think hardware cloth without some serious bracing would be sturdy enough.... The aluminum should be soft enough that if I can get some heavy gauge metal straps to run horizontal I could just drill and bolt them across then add the hardware cloth. Any recommendations as to what type of hardware cloth with any specific coating/treatment that would be safe? I know home depot and ACE don't have too big of a selection so I may end up ordering it in...

With Warm Regards
mercury

·
Registered
519 Posts
This unit would be real easy to be a 4 frame radial unit. As to the galvanized drum, I doubt the honey will be in there long enough to soak up the zinc. Heck, men take zinc for their prostate health. Just leave your gate open when extracting, so that the honey flows out quickly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
NasalSponge's photo is correct. I was loaned one almost identical. It's a 4 frame. The screening that is missing is sturdier than hardware cloth, with about 1 or 2 inch openings. In fact, pretty much like in the photo, except my screening was put in on the diagonal.

I'll get some detailed photos of the screen tonight if you like.

Walt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts