Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice (I sure do) that we have a tendency to hold onto old equipment? Not junk stuff, but equipment we used for some purpose that we no longer use.... with the thought in mind that we just MIGHT use it again for SOMETHING and maybe not for it's originally intended purpose.....

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Human nature and laziness. It takes effort and discipline to rid oneself of things one no longer uses. Wanna see my attic?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Like folks from the depression area and those in the wilderness.

A beekeeper in our club lost a hive this winter and asked me take a look at her others. She insisted on throwing away all of the comb, very nice combs, a little bit of mold here or there and slight foul smell from all of the dead bodies. The hive starved out, nice big cluster thousands of bees, she harvested way too much for italians, so sad. Gladly took it, will be great the nucs and swarm traps this year. In the process of blowing out the carcasses with my compressor. In death there is life!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I started keeping bees 40 years ago and have some of the first equipment I bought. Some of that equipment I bought from widows, retiring beekeepers, or from some of my early mentors. I know that equipment…the history…the memories. That cover isn't just a cover. It's a Curtis Moynan original. That box with the JTB brand came from John Brandt in Granville, New York. An ugly old pink hive body from Buster or a super from Martha Pfundi's brother.

So I keep old equipment around not because I'm lazy, or whatever. And I know that some of it might as well be burned, but these boxes and hive bits remind me of my old friends who are all gone. A connection to a generation of beekeepers who went before.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Like folks from the depression era and those in the wilderness. My great uncle saves everything, he doesn't actively aquire stuff like a hoarder per se, but when he buys something it never leaves.

A beekeeper in our club lost a hive this winter and asked me take a look at her others. She insisted on throwing away all of the comb, very nice combs, a little bit of mold here or there and slight foul smell from all of the dead bodies. The hive starved out, nice big cluster thousands of bees, she harvested way too much honey for italians, so sad. I gladly took it to use in nucs and swarm traps this year. In death there is life!

ps a compressed air nozzle works great for popping out the dead bees incells, bees were flying everywhere as if they were alive again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts