Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Some people say every two years, other go up to five, some don't rotate on a regular schedule at all. When the comb turns asphalt black, its probably time to rotate out that comb. Pesticides (particularly miticides) can build up in the wax over time and may get to a level where it contributes to mite resistance and decreased bee health. Before Varroa mites (and before we started banning pesticides) people would sometimes keep using their comb for literal decades.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Good answer by Akademe. I would add that even if one didn't feel it necessary to replace old comb, everyone needs comb. So swap out a few that are older, dirty or wonky each spring and use them for swarm traps or just keep them in "inventory" for when you need them. You will need them. J

·
Registered
422 Posts
How about new comb-I have about 7 supers of beautiful white comb (10 frame) and two more partials (which should be filled out later this month) in hives above a QE. I know that they're good for next year for the flow but how far out can I keep using them if they're protected. Three supers (30 frames) have been extracted and are back on (inverted to the bottom above the QE). I am finishing up an FA treatment and in couple of weeks, am figuring to harvest the unextracted 7, and immediately put them back on during what appears to be a pending very strong Fall flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts