Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the hit I got on the inside of my upper arm. :pinch:

But I now know for sure that alarm pheromone really DOES smell like banana. I guess you just have to have it released up close to your face to really catch a good whiff. :lpf:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
:applause: I took one to the tricep yesterday while watching the orientation flight.(one hives is a little urinary:D Mine swelled alot larger than most other places. Did yours,,,,soft tissue I guess. Yes, it smells like bananas;) When I start smelling that,,,,I try to get things done and get out.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not nearly as swollen as my fingers get, but I suppose there's more room for the venom to spread out maybe? Still hurts like the blazes; my DD just banged into it on her way off my lap and I just about jumped out of my skin.

I must not be good with the alarm smell, because this is seriously the first time I've noticed it, and I had to pick the whole show up after the bear knocked it over. You'd think the area would smell like a banana split after that!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
>But I now know for sure that alarm pheromone really DOES smell like banana. I guess you just have to have it released up close to your face to really catch a good whiff.

In fact one of the main ingredients in alarm pheremone is also a main ingredient in artificial banana flavoring -- isoamyl acetate.

My son did a science fair project a few years ago testing the reaction of bees to different deodorants, perfumes, etc. by applying some to a cloth patch then waving it in front of a hive (on a very long pole) for a certain time and then count the stingers. Just for kicks he put some artificial banana flavoring on a patch. In 20 seconds you couldn't see the hive for the cloud of angry bees.

I thought it could be turned into a great bear (or theft) deterrent. Set up vial of the stuff under pressure so a large hive disturbance would soak the bear (or thief) in the stuff. Neither would hang around long -- but it would probably get you sued.

BTW bees won't react at all to bananas.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So when I drive past the capital, to chuck a cardboard nuc at my states current Governor, you're saying I need a large water balloon filled with artificial banana flavoring to hit him with as well?

C2

·
Registered
507 Posts
Inspected some really, aggressive bees yesterday for a friend of mine. She had the bees in a shed used for hunters on their ranch. The bees were slamming my veil and humping up trying to sting me and you could certainly smell that distinctiver scent of bananas in the air. I knew what it was. I got stung twice. Once before doing anything to the bees and the second time as I was trying to smoke them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts