Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a TBH that is full of bees right now. As of a couple of days ago I didn't see any queen cells, but there were queen cups, and lots of drones, and so I'm assuming they're getting ready to swarm. Is there any problem with me just taking the queen and splitting the hive now? Or do I have to wait for a certain point? In past years I've had some success with keeping my hives from swarming, but not enough to keep my neighbors happy (I live in an urban area), so I'd really like to do my best to eliminate swarms this year. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, have a couple other questions now that I’ve been thinking about it. The link you provided said to move the queen and then move uncapped brood. My gut would tell me to move the capped brood because then they would emerge sooner, and therefore provide more bees to the new hive. Why does it recommend moving uncapped brood?
My other question is, I know I am not supposed to disturb the original hive for a month so it can raise a new queen, but the reason I was splitting it was to try and prevent a swarm. If I can’t check it for a month, how can I monitor it to make sure the swarm urge has passed?
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts