Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
well if you look at Mike Palmers ID, he hasn't been on for 13 days, this thread is 14 days old, I think he meant it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
One of the reasons, I have been quiet, too, among others.
Have you read through the thread and seen the actual, real explanation for the issue? It's NOT advertising. It's spammers.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Have you read through the thread and seen the actual, real explanation for the issue? It's NOT advertising. It's spammers.
Either way, this Forum has changed, and there is no excuse, spammers or whatever;
The changes to BS in no way benefit the users AT ALL. I think most would agree. Not everyone uses a computer, I use an iPad, so I don’t have a mouse to “hover” over a name to see a location. In the middle of typing this response a page popped up and told me to “rotate this device” (in my mind I was so aggravated with that darn pop-up I was thinking along the same line..) and had trouble getting back to this thread...life at the moment is very stressful during these times, and I don’t want any more of it. I guess I will get used to it but I really don’t enjoy it for some reason.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cloverdale, since you mention you use a portable device to visit this forum, the Xenforo software now being used supports mobiles natively unlike the previous platform. That means you actually have access to all of the features in a consistent way with how it would would be on a Windows or Mac.

As to the other thing...the same spammer stuff is happening on forums that are still on the older VBulletin platforms. Every time a door gets closed, "those folks" find a different door to open. It's not "this forum" that's at fault. All of us that help manage forums are dealing with exactly the same challenges as the folks that fun this particular place.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
It's not "this forum" that's at fault. All of us that help manage forums are dealing with exactly the same challenges as the folks that fun this particular place.
+1
Simply the "change" attracts renewed attention to ALL little details (simply ignored before the "change").

This is what we observe at the moment as people are already annoyed/stressed by the change (AND the admins/mods are still learning themselves - a temporary issue).

These same spams would have drawn NO attention had the forum stayed the same - LOL.
Also the admins/mods/automation would have probably handled the issues faster.

It is a fact.
Part of my IT life too - same old - people hate the change or people love the change - eventually everyone gets used to it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
+1
Simply the "change" attracts renewed attention to ALL little details (simply ignored before the "change").

It is a fact.
Part of my IT life too - same old - people hate the change or people love the change - eventually everyone gets used to it.
I had to set up a new television this past weekend. Larger, smarter. I reviewed it for Costco and gave it a 3. Change is a major pain, causes stress and takes up time.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Heck, I hate the IT change because this makes me learn new technology over and over, and toss away what I already knew well and spent the time doing and learning.

Guess what, in IT business you learn and adapt with not end in sight.
Else - your other option is go and get a Walmart stocking job or Amazon delivery gig - no thanks!
Guess what, constant learning is a part of IT job - you get paid for doing it.
Hate it or leave it.

Funny, but anyone now days has to deal with IT - if this was not clear just yet.
I am learning Windows 10 setups and PC building as we speak - for my teen-age kid's gaming PC.
Hate it or leave it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Horsehocky that all the other forum sites are having the same problems.. I also frequent a Air cooled VW site. No issues there, and the layout is much better. You can fool all of the people some of the time, fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. Try again

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
At least they are still here, the site is still active and enough beekeepers to keep the conversation going. I'll manage. Did they ditch all the old posts in the overhaul?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
At least they are still here, the site is still active and enough beekeepers to keep the conversation going. I'll manage. Did they ditch all the old posts in the overhaul?
You can do a search for them, I believe advanced search. Use the 3 vertical dots on the upper right of the page.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The old forum used phpbb? At least a few years ago that software was a nightmare, easily hackable. Basically a server control software that also included a bulletin board.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Found the posts I was looking for, thank you Cloverdale

Reactions: Cloverdale

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Shall we start up a new forum and make it so the end user can fine tune his / her favorite settings? I'd hate to lose contact with y'all.

I could probably set it up with a "hacker trap" and actually go find the jerks and ...well, enuf said.

We would need several key people - Barry, the super moderators, and some of the star veteran beek's. I don't think outright rebellion is necessarily a great solution, but we have something that is valuable to US, and I really don't give a rat's backside about the STEENKIN" advertisers, except to make notes of the most annoying offenders and be CERTAIN to tell all my friends to NEVER BUY FROM THEM.

Just an idea for chewing on...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
or use a desktop no camera.

Actually your idea Kilocharlie is exactly what another forum did. They left a dead hulk of old posts at beekeepingforums . com and a couple of the users started a new forum back in about 2016. I got an email that sent me to the new forum. Technically I am an admin at the old one, being the only one that showed up afterward, and it gets about 2 posts or replies a week. Don't know what the advertisers are doing. I have long since quit trying to save the old forum (I have a virtual beekeeping log over there if I need to look something up - and no time to gather it all up and print it).

the most valuable part of beesource are the old posts, the historical records of mite counts and weather stuff, the accumulated wealth of knowledge from a couple of generations (well sort of ) of beekeepers. And that is something that won't easily be moved to a new forum.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts