Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Administrator
397 Posts
The revivals will sometimes happen as a result of folks using search or the recommended reading. Sometimes they land here directly from google searches too. The flags if they are not using a VPN are the easy tell. Especially if its a thread clearly about bee keeping but they are talking about their dentist.
-Philip

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey, technology is nice some of the time, and more and more showing an ugly side. All the same don't blame the recipient, blame the unscrupulous jerks who send bad stuff. Run a good security program and don't click on suspicious links. I ordered a business laptop some years ago. It was built in China and came pre-loaded with trojans, and really well crafted spy worms and such. I had to pay a computer security expert friend to remove the crap. He said it was fun as it was very challenging. Won't ever but a product from that company again.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Jim, the generic posts you reference are one of the things I look for as a moderator. I have sent pm's to several asking if they are beekeepers or interested in bees. That is usually the last we hear from them as they now know someone is watching them. Another flag is the revival of old threads by a new poster. More often than not it is a spammer.
I have seen and reported many of those, it seems to be what I see most often

·
Registered
403 Posts
The VPNs are often picked up by stopforumspam.com'sgin that we use here.
Yes, that's true on the VerticalScope forums I help with, too. But lately, some have been getting missed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When another forum I'm on changed to this type , there was a Huge amount of spam. It makes me think this one is not as strict as the other one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is like click-bait! I looked up some tires for my truck on an unrelated website and now ever add on here is showing me tires. Going to log off and view the site through another browsers. And this is about money, the admins are making buckets of duckets between this and their other sites. Seems like an invasion of privacy.

Larrybud, signing off.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
This is like click-bait! I looked up some tires for my truck on an unrelated website and now ever add on here is showing me tires. Going to log off and view the site through another browsers. And this is about money, the admins are making buckets of duckets between this and their other sites. Seems like an invasion of privacy.

Larrybud, signing off.
You have to realize - spying after you is not necessarily the feature of this forum IF at all.

In fact, your very browser is spying on you.
Not even the web site - the browser.
See that?
See the basic difference?

I am not sure how else to explain this current and yet very simple thing.
Strange that people are just now discovering the obvious (and presume it is the BS forum is spying after them).
:)

The Microsoft, Google, Mozilla and others - pretty much ALL mainstream browser makers are spying on you AND pulling the information about you back to the head-quarters - this is how you get targeted by the ads - based on your usage and traffic history AND the modern website platforms.
Admittedly - this is why everyone wants the web sites to be upgraded to the "latest and greatest", including the BS - so it is easier to spy on the users.
The obsolete platforms are just no longer supported and pushed aside - because they don't support the "latest and greatest" ways to spy on people.

Like I have been saying - get off the Internet and turn off your smart phone in general IF truly concerned about the Big Tech spying on you.
The BS forum is peanuts.
Not much to see here.
There is much, much bigger fish to fry.
If you use a browser and a smart phone - you are being spied on (BS or no BS - not that important).
If you use the Internet, you WILL BE spied on regardless of whether or not you come back to the BS forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Simply talking out loud is enough.

Over the weekend a friend was verbally telling me about StopSaw, a table saw that yanks the blade down if you touch it. That evening YouTube serves up StopSaw videos. Similarly after me telling my friend about beekeeping a few months ago, guess what Facebook recommends to him?
It is well known that the Messenger app function of Facebook listens to all voices through the mike of your phone - whether you are using it or not. If you have your phone on a night stand and are talking to your wife, automated Facebook marketing is taking notes. I only use Facebook through a browser.

Another insidious listener is the Alexa device from Google. If you have a home office or meet with clients in your home, you ought not to use an Alexa device.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I just rejoined Worldwide Beekeeping. It's privately held. BeekeepingForums.com has ads, has a lot of historical posts, almost no current members, I somehow ended up as an admin when the original remembers left after the site was sold, Because it's below the radar we don't get a ton of spam. I hoped the original beesource was still here when I logged in today. Apparently I was wrong but I'll still look around a little. Also, just a tip, I use DuckDuckGo for searches. And I don't use the Microsoft cloud either. I don't get as much stuff following me around that way. And my phone does not Facebook at all. It doesn't even do this site I don't think.

Reactions: Cloverdale

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have been searching for information on the Sweet Clovers, etc. Some of the search results lead to Landscaping companies. Now I am seeing ads from Landscape companies here on BeeSource as well as one Manscaping company.
I want to assure everyone I have not searched or intend to search for or procure the services of a Manscaping company. :cool:

That is all,
Alex

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I love Firefox and DuckDuckGo. Less ad bleedover

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
no, Worldwide Beekeeping is a private forum run by Idee.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Does anybody know how to install Mozilla Firefox on a Chromebook? No cd rom device, I don't know if a flash drive can install it...suggestions?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I downloaded to my desk top

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For those that are running firefox on windows it may be worth looking into the containers feature. I have facebook in one container, my email in another, and some other stuff in containers. It seems to have a independent set of cookies for each container because stuff that I am already logged in to on one container is not logged in within the others. I also do not get the facebook linkages for comments/other stuff when I am on news/other type sites that are using facebook for message tracking.

I also tend to run stuff thru the browser in my phone, I don't have many apps installed because I do not want them spying on me. I turn off the internet on my phone when I am not using it and I figure that reduces data usage, reduces spying, and increases battery life.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts