Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
With that reasoning, I get the ad because I searched for fentanyl?
I agree with your sentiment Mr Palmer. We live in a small community in the mountains of TN where fentanyl OD deaths this year far outpace C19 deaths.

I am a professional programmer and a sideline obsessive beek. I realize they are allowing a cycling of ads they cannot fully control. But if I see something objectionable (and particularly if it is a pattern), I vote with my pocketbook. Canceled Netflix after 10-year run. I miss the format, but always taught my kids that a financial boycott is a very effective tool, and at minimum you can draw a line and stand by your principles.

Also realize that there are real people at the other end of the websites, servers, networks etc. and not one of them would want to willingly promote this killer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This particular format does stink for forums. I had another forum I used to go to and stopped because of this format. It's just not one I enjoy. Mods also need to vet new posters better to stop what MP saw.
FB is a joke and Not a replacement for a forum.

At home I use FireFox and all ads ( the kind you see on the side and in between posts) but on my tablet at work I have to see them all :(
Wish they would go back to old forum

·
Registered
403 Posts
Report it in Community Help to the Administrators. The spam filter apparently needs tuning. I moderate at more than one site using this same version of Xenforo (owned by the same operator...they have a custom version) and this stuff usually gets caught in the approval queue but sometimes something slips through. I will also emphasize that this is not "advertising" blessed by and paid for to the forum site owners/operators. It's SPAM, plain and simple, and the folks that post it get more and more sophisticated about getting around controls every day.

Reactions: Admin

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I will also emphasize that this is not "advertising" blessed by and paid for to the forum site owners/operators. It's SPAM, plain and simple, and the folks that post it get more and more sophisticated about getting around controls every day.
Exactly.
The SPAM <> ads.
Report spam posters and get them blocked.
Just do a quick "Report" and done..

As far as the ads - block them globally in your browser.
Once and done.

Things are NOT as terrible as they my feel like.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Reminds me of the time my church website had an ad with a naked woman on it. I am not a prude at all, but thought that a bit inappropriate.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,788 Posts
Please use the report function whenever you find objectionable material. In most cases, a moderator will have it deleted within a few hours. We have jobs too. The site tracks IP addresses and if a previously reported address is used, it goes into an approval file where we can review and delete as necessary. Thanks everyone for your help with this problem.

Reactions: Admin

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
To Mike and everyone else - Please do not get angry at Beesource for the transgressions of a drug ***#0Le who saw our community as a free ad opportunity. You, Sir Michael Palmer, along with Sir Oldtimer and a few other elite contributors, are the main reason our team is still winning against the odds, the mites, the pendejos who just can't wait to say, "You can't do that!", the insecticides, the fungicides, and so many others things we beekeepers are up against. You are the backbone of American beekeeping, and this is a very high quality connection to other beekeepers around the world. I sincerely hope you do not leave.

Socrates said, "To get angry? That is easy enough - everyone does it, mostly too often and too much. But to get EXACTLY angry enough - no more and not much less, with the RIGHT PERSON, for the RIGHT REASON, and in the RIGHT WAY to get them to not do what you do not want them to do or to get them to do what you want them to do, THAT IS EXTREMELY RARE."

Socrates may have thought the queen bee was a king bee, but he did get a lot of things right. He may have been somewhat miffed at pop-up ads had he had a laptop as well, and perhaps would have let out some prime Greek expletives a time or two in the pace of our modern day, but fortunately, he left us the above statement and a few other writings worth reading.

Your posts, Oldtimer's, Bernard Heuvel's, fusion-power's, and a number of others are worth reading, too. I dearly hope you will continue, and I am also thankful for the advice about ad-blocker software, Mozilla firefox, and for the diligent efforts of our super moderators. Beesource rocks! Let's stick together to keep it that way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Someone suggested switch web browsers and recommended Brave. I made the switch and have no ads at all to deal with

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now there are ads for fentanyl, embedded in the replies to a thread, and I have to do something on my own if I don't like it. Right
I believe you are mistaken.

From the photos posted, it appears someone just created an account and posted random spam. In this case the thread was for drugs. Either of us could do the same thing in under 5 minutes.

And keep in mind, the Admins are only people too, with full time jobs and lives outside of a forum. In general, I wouldn't consider it unreasonable for 24 hours to get a response to a flagged topic, here or anywhere else. And if no one flags it, it could stay up indefinitely.

Also for the ads you see in general, or for that fact, the recommended videos on YouTube. BEWARE you do not have to even search. Simply talking out loud is enough.

Over the weekend a friend was verbally telling me about StopSaw, a table saw that yanks the blade down if you touch it. That evening YouTube serves up StopSaw videos. Similarly after me telling my friend about beekeeping a few months ago, guess what Facebook recommends to him?

Also if you use the customer advantage cards, the stores track your purchases and sell that that information to Facebook and the like. There is a great story about a father getting adds from Target for prenatal products for his daughter, and getting mad, only to find out Target saw what she had been buying and realized she was pregnate before he did.

You can't convince me our phone aren't listening. Not people, but a computer algorithm. Whats even creepier is the police can now solve crimes for which there are no witnesses or evidence left behind, because they can track what cell phones were in a certain area, at a certain time. Should you ever need to dump a body after a bad fentynal deal gone awry, LEAVE YOUR PHONE AT HOME!

Let me get back to bee keeping before I drag you too far down this rabbit hole.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Could it be that they sell them the space for the ads to cover cost if this forum?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Simply talking out loud is enough.
It can go the other way too. I was telling my brother and his wife about my bees adventure. The next day my sister-in-law's phone was flooded with adds about bees and hive tools.

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Hey there friends,

Apologies that spam has been on the uptick here in the forums for a short bit - we've been seeing a small wave of it climbing across the network and other forums for a few weeks now, and have been working to make adjustments to the filters and preventative systems in place. Spammers are awfully wily, and it's frequently the case that whenever we make a change and tighten thresholds, they figure out a way around them within weeks if not days. It's a steady case of whack-a-mole. We've been fortunate in that we've been mostly winning on this fight, but really can use your help in identifying the stuff that should be flagged as spam.

As others have mentioned, when and if you should see threads like the one mentioned here, please do hit that Report option to give mods and admins a heads-up. Most threads like that are taken care of speedily, provided moderators see it pop up in the review queue. That way, we're also able to keep that information handy for when they come back and try to register again after being banned. A little help on flagging spam goes a long, long way to keeping them from flooding in.

Thanks for raising this in visibility, and really do appreciate your attention to forum quality. :)

Warm Regards,
Joe Pishgar
Chief Community Officer, VerticalScope

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Could it be that they sell them the space for the ads to cover cost if this forum?
Not at all, in this case. There are paid ads on the site though this example was a spammer who managed to bypass the usual anti spam tools to be able to post. Its rare but sometimes you get a clever one that is not just a bot and a real person who has learned how to scale the walls we put up to block them. We learn from them when they get reported (and we show them the door) so we are less likely to see that one again.
-Philip

·
Registered
403 Posts
@Admin , one thing I've seen an uptick on the sites I'm helping with is spammers doing a few innocuous posts to get recognized as real members before they post their link-spam. The typical "That's really great!" or "Thanks for posting that" type posts. That's helping some get by the automatic filers. Some are also spoofing origin IP addresses along with that, probably with VPNs, which isn't helping the automated sensing.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,788 Posts
Jim, the generic posts you reference are one of the things I look for as a moderator. I have sent pm's to several asking if they are beekeepers or interested in bees. That is usually the last we hear from them as they now know someone is watching them. Another flag is the revival of old threads by a new poster. More often than not it is a spammer.

·
Administrator
397 Posts
@Admin , one thing I've seen an uptick on the sites I'm helping with is spammers doing a few innocuous posts to get recognized as real members before they post their link-spam. The typical "That's really great!" or "Thanks for posting that" type posts. That's helping some get by the automatic filers. Some are also spoofing origin IP addresses along with that, probably with VPNs, which isn't helping the automated sensing.
They are getting more clever for sure. The VPNs are often picked up by stopforumspam.com's plugin that we use here. It will often put the accounts into quarantine to be approved by the mods. Sometimes we are lucky and it just blocks them out right. Remaining vigilant in reporting and removing helps not only give them the boot but also helps add to the database that StopForumSpam maintains. I hate these spammers, but they are part of the internet's eco system if we want to allow new legit folks to join the party. Sometimes there will be one or two that tailgate into the closing door.
-Philip

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Jim, the generic posts you reference are one of the things I look for as a moderator. I have sent pm's to several asking if they are beekeepers or interested in bees. That is usually the last we hear from them as they now know someone is watching them. Another flag is the revival of old threads by a new poster. More often than not it is a spammer.
This is good work! Another one to look for is people responding to WTB requests that are trying to direct someone off the site. We get these a lot on the classic car sites. People looking for hard to find parts become low hanging fruit for the worst of these scammers/scammers.
-Philip

21 - 40 of 85 Posts