Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made 2 nucs 4 days ago. 3 days ago I hung a purchased queen in the hive in a queen cage, and today I released the queen.

In one of the nucs I noticed two swarm cells hanging from the bottom of the frame: one capped and one with larva. It seems these must have been on the frame when I made the nuc due to their age, but I didn't notice that they were filled at the time.

I'm certain we didn't accidentally get the queen from the parent hive - we found her and caged her while we made the nucs.

I wasn't sure what to do, so I just released the queen and left the cells. Is it a safe assumption that the released queen will take care of them, or should I go back and take care of them myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am not so convinced that he bees start building swarm cells based on lack of queen pheromones. I have come to think it may be based on the lack of pheremones from uncapped brood. It seems that I see more cells when the amount of uncapped brood goes below a certain level. The cells you are seeing could be a result of no or reduced uncapped brood in your nucs. In this instance with a newly introduced queen that you have confidence in I would consider destroying the cells. This is especially true if you have Eggs or very young brood in the hive.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Its not safe to assume that the workers wouldn't kill the new queen.
How where they treating the new queen before you released her? How long was she hung in the nuc before you released her?

Personally if I saw the cells I would have torn them down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went back and cut out the queen cells.

They were all over the queen cage when I released her. I had waited 3 days before releasing.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Were they stinging the queen cage or feeding her through the screen.You have to pay attention to that.Were the queencells capped?If they were capped the workers will ball her!Shouldn't cut the queen cells out before you confirmed she was still alive.They'll be all over the queen cage anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts