Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was cleaning out his deceased fathers house. Apparently the father was one of these prepper guys. In a basement storage room, he found 250 five pound bags of sugar. Some of the sugar is ten and fifteen years old. He said I could have it if I hauled it off. Do you all think it would be ok to feed to bees being that old? It is dry and was kept sealed. Does sugar go bad?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The sugar will be fine, but each bag may be in a solid lump after so many years and a bit more difficult to handle and dissolve. Sugar is used as a preservative. Think about a piece of hard candy (almost all sugar) that someone dropped into a couch crack, found 5 years later. If you remove the lint, dust, and dog hair and rinse it off, it's good to go. Just ask any 5 year old. Although they may skip the removing and rinsing part. :lpf:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If it was stored properly I would Consider the gift a windfall and not hesitate to use the sugar.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sugar will be fine, but each bag may be in a solid lump after so many years and a bit more difficult to handle and dissolve. Sugar is used as a preservative. Think about a piece of hard candy (almost all sugar) that someone dropped into a couch crack, found 5 years later. If you remove the lint, dust, and dog hair and rinse it off, it's good to go. Just ask any 5 year old.

Hey I never thought about that. Thanks. Good advice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it should be okay, if it looks alright. I haven't used any that old, but I like to stock up when sugar is on sale, and have used 3 year old sugar that looked good as new. It probably will be a solid block. An ice pick works well in breaking up the sugar into manageable lumps.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Perfect size to drop in hot water to make syrup. Those crystals like honey are supersaturated sugar and will not support spoilage organisms unless or until it is diluted with water. Keeps forever in a dry place.

·
Registered
396 Posts
[HR][/HR]Look around carefully in out-of-the-way places in the basement – did he leave some moonshine, too? :shhhh:

(Of course, I have my tongue firmly in my cheek, and no disrespect is intended to your friend's father's memory ...! I simply want to make that point perfectly clear.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts