Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I don't want to start a great debate on this. What I want is some ideas as how far to space hive from each other. I purfer about five to ten feet my friend likes to have his hives on a pallet with the backs to each other and so I bring this up to see what others do and like I don't think there is a wrong or right way.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I run them on 4 way pallets. If I wasn't running them this way I think it would depend on the electric fence enclosure as to how spaced they would be...but I would max the space within that enclosure. If I didn't have to keep them in a fence...10 ft seems like a good distance. Far enough away to keep any drifting from taking place but close enough to work the hives.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
We left room too set hive boxes between the hives, & be able too walk around them. We work our hives from the sides.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Different strokes for different folks--do it your way :banana:

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
We run pallets now but before we did, we left only about 3 feet between, sometimes less depending on room within the fence. Like Dickm, we liked to use the one next to it as a table top, place to put the smoker etc.
Sheri

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Just wanted to see what some people do and for what reason. I just like to see what works and why. I have to room and so I use it.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
While I am not a migratory beekeeper, I find pallets are great for hives. I level the pallet and all 4 hives are level.

I prefer a minimum of 3 feet between pallets. I work my hives from the side, and any less than 3 feet I feel cramped and don't have room to work. 3-4 feet between pallets works for me.

Where I still have hives not on pallets, I put hives together in pairs, with 3-4 feet between each group of 2 hives.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I like to leave enough room for my riding lawnmower and like some others said, i work mine from the side so for me about 5 ft. works for me. Jack

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I presently have my regular apiary arranged so that most of the hives are in pairs, with about two inches between hives and two to three feet between pairs of hives. The Nuc yard has Nucs on several raised platforms - each platform is facing a different direction, with room for about ten Nucs per platform and about three inches between Nucs.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Hives in pairs on rectangular hive stands, enough space between them that telescoping covers to not catch. The space between stands is just enough that two people can work, seated on their stools, back to back. Been that way since.....hmmmm.......... we switched to movable frames in the 1800's.

Roland
Linden Apiary, Est 1852

·
Banned
840 Posts
Just for historical reference, Abbe Warre suggested about 29 1/2 inches center to center, separation of hive boxes.

Big Bear

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think is awsome to see the diffrent ways beeks place thier hives that works best for them.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Pallets with about 6" between. This space allows telescoping covers to stand vertically when feed jars are on top the inner covers. I pull one hive toward the front of the pallet and the adjacent one a few inches (8, 10, 12, whatever) back. My thought is that the different stance on a pallet makes for better orientation. The pallets I've been using are getting hard to find locally. They're plastic - no termites or rot bother them and very lightweight. A local automobile electrical wiring harness factory used to get them in once in a while. Been many months since I've found any in their pallet piles.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I presently have my regular apiary arranged so that most of the hives are in pairs, with about two inches between hives and two to three feet between pairs of hives. The Nuc yard has Nucs on several raised platforms - each platform is facing a different direction, with room for about ten Nucs per platform and about three inches between Nucs.
Mine are much the same as above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts