Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working around my hives this afternoon and noticed honey on the front of the hive stand (I tasted it to be sure). I didn't want to pull the super off the brood box, as it's still a bit cool -- so I added another super (frames have thin foundation in them). I'm thinking about pulling both supers off this weekend (temps going into 65-plus and sunny). Is this a good or bad idea? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
About the only reason for honey to be running out the hive entrance is because of SHB infestation. Open the hives ASAP and check for SHB larva in the frames.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHB sounds probable.....I don't have traps placed in the hive. Mice are less likely...the hive is on a 2-foot high stand. I will check for both, though, when I open it up this weekend. Thanks for the pointers!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I guess that proves you are a true beek! Sticking your finger in an unknown substance on your hive entrance board, and tasting! :lpf:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You would have to have a lot of warm weather to have SHB problems. Unless some of the SHBs that were clustered with the bees mated and laid eggs recently I just don't see how it could be SHB larva. And the bee pop would have to be at a point that it isn't covering all of the honey frames.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the varied responses have made me curious to see the inside of this hive -- just to find out what's going on in there. I'll wait until mid-day tomorrow (temp and sun should be OK by then) and open it up. Hands-on, direct-experience learning moment ahead, I guess! :eek::D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Our beetles in the South don't need warm weather to infest a hive! They're tough little boogers! Actually, the weather is usually warm enough for them to flourish year round. Let your guard down for a week and there'll be dozens of them scurrying around the frames. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts