Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working around my hives this afternoon and noticed honey on the front of the hive stand (I tasted it to be sure). I didn't want to pull the super off the brood box, as it's still a bit cool -- so I added another super (frames have thin foundation in them). I'm thinking about pulling both supers off this weekend (temps going into 65-plus and sunny). Is this a good or bad idea? :scratch:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHB sounds probable.....I don't have traps placed in the hive. Mice are less likely...the hive is on a 2-foot high stand. I will check for both, though, when I open it up this weekend. Thanks for the pointers!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I guess that proves you are a true beek! Sticking your finger in an unknown substance on your hive entrance board, and tasting! :lpf:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You would have to have a lot of warm weather to have SHB problems. Unless some of the SHBs that were clustered with the bees mated and laid eggs recently I just don't see how it could be SHB larva. And the bee pop would have to be at a point that it isn't covering all of the honey frames.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the varied responses have made me curious to see the inside of this hive -- just to find out what's going on in there. I'll wait until mid-day tomorrow (temp and sun should be OK by then) and open it up. Hands-on, direct-experience learning moment ahead, I guess! :eek::D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Our beetles in the South don't need warm weather to infest a hive! They're tough little boogers! Actually, the weather is usually warm enough for them to flourish year round. Let your guard down for a week and there'll be dozens of them scurrying around the frames. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.