Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a nuc from a local beekeeper in March. I thought they whetr aggressive and he came over to take a look, they appeared to be exactly the opposite. I started looking back at what I was doing and I believe I was at fault, hot smoke, rolling bees and apparently they do not like being breathed on. He said that hee behavior I was seeing was a Florida bee attitude. I asked what the of queen she was he said she was a Carolina/Itatian cross breed. I looked up what to expect. They are slow to build up but once food is available they go hog wild, we had about a month of no rain, do I expect them to he slow. I fed them a slice of pollen patty and about a gallon of sugar water, out of fear of being honey bound I stopped. I out a super on when the beekeeper advised me. They have not drawn it out at all. I did a detailed review of the hive today and I am very worried.

They have 2 deep frames not drawn out, thru have a entire honey super not drawn out. They have a very enough bees to easily filled 9 frames. I check for eggs found none. Did find a few older larva and some pollen but thru look very poor on pollen and honey. But I watch them retrieving both all day long. I am debating in going full nurse mode and give them a larger pollen patty size and start surgar water again. If they where to go into winter right now they would starve. Is this totally normal for a Carolina/Italian queen?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Carniolan/Italian cross can be rather a mutt. One may act one way and her sister another.

If they are bring in stores and not brooding I would worry about quiet robbing. No fighting just looting. That is what happens when they are at first defensive as you describe and then they just kind of give up. You do not say how wide your opening is but reduce it and see if they start guarding a smaller opening.
If that is not the problem, it sounds close to a dearth and not brooding is appropriate.

Not looking just guessing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not think it is robbing, no other bees other then the hive bees go in. Haven't seen any robbing signs. It is almost like its a dearth but we just had rain so I had assumed that would get some plants to bloom.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After 4 weeks of no rain then a near week of constant afternoon rain would that make a dearth go away? If they have 2 brood frames undrawn as well as a entire honey super undrawn and I start sugar water do I risk them becoming honey bound anytime soon?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You need young bees to draw comb.
You will not get brood without adequate stores.
You say your bees are light on stores.
Feed them until you have open and some capped stores.
Then place an undrawn comb in the brood nest.
Yes you can overfeed, you can also underfeed.
Feed

If that does not cure, queen is fading.

Reduce entrance. If you are in a dearth yoiu will find out how close another hive is.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They already have 2 undrawn frames in the brood nest. i will start feeding today. would it be wise to also add some pollen patty?

Just fed them one quart 1:1 sugar water, just before a storm came. will a nice rain cause plans to bloom or no?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I could get away with a patty, I think most FL posters would say small hive beetles would invade yours. Small amount might be ok.

I would feed until there is a solid amount of stores or until things change.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could get away with a patty, I think most FL posters would say small hive beetles would invade yours. Small amount might be ok.

I would feed until there is a solid amount of stores or until things change.
If there are enough bees to cover 9 frames would a 2x2 piece be small enough to prevent any beetle stupidity? Is it true adding pollen encourages brood production,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts