Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got done trying to a split, and ugh, nightmare and its still not done.

Ok, for those of you who don't know my story, here goes. About a month ago I purchased a 2 week old established swarm, came with some built comb, laying queen and a whole lot of bees. Wasnt a nuc but not priced as one either. Took it home, set it up and took a peek way too often. After a week however I was afraid I was dealing with a supercedure and let them do as they pleased. Problem was I dropped the frames of brood they had, and was convinced I had killed the queen :pinch:

Well, fast forward to last week, I went to look at the bees more closely and brother was I wrong, a ten frame deep is just filled with bees, and turns out I have a Carniolan, most likely a mutt (dark and light banded bees) cause I had seen her prior to dropping the frames and then again (shes also slippery to catch) while I had one of the bars out (I placed two top bars in prep to move them, wish in hindsight I had done 4). Turns out that carnie trait for swarming kicked in too, two queen cells on one frame, not cups, cells.

Ok.... moving not an option anymore. Consulted a veteran beek in the area and he said split... sooooo thats what I did. took the two top bars out, cut them to size and placed them in the new hive (along with the queen) and took out another frame of brood, used masking tape to make a cradle (difficult without a helper) and got a third bar, after that it was over.... the original hive with the queen missing was PO'ed, I had honey all over my hands. The original hive still has way too many bees and will try taking another frame of bees (or two) and shaking them into the split and get the spacing right, after they have had the chance to calm down, after that, not messing with them for another three weeks.... minimum. After that its probably on to feeding both hives to get their numbers and stores up for two hives to go into winter.

FYI, Wired foundation lang to top bar is NOT fun.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If it was a swarm with the old queen they will supercede her. More than likely that's why they built the supercedure cells.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, moved another frame of brood over to the Top bar :D, this went easier since it was a bit earlier in the day and I could actually see what I was doing, however queenless hives, you will KNOW its queenless when you get within a foot of it and you have 50 bees all trying to sting you. The top bar was pretty gentle and they didnt care what I did pretty much... the Lang however, was a whole nother story. They did NOT like what I was doing and made it quite clear.... but I've done whats needed and will leave them alone for the next 3 weeks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ooooh- I like the masking tape idea! Wish I had that knowledge yesterday…and today.
I can't even imagine the work that went into the transfer working with the wired foundation.
Good luck!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not bad, if its not brood comb that is a year old or so, but one of the frames I pulled was used as brood for about a year or so and was hard to deal with when it came to cutting the wire to take the comb out. the second frame I pulled yesterday was alot easier to work with however and there wasnt a large honey mess all over the place like the other day.

And yeah, masking tape girdle works pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts