Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather here has been anywhere from 28 degrees to 15 degrees.

A near by tree farm has called me several times last year to get a hives out of their baby owl boxes(8" x 10" x 14") - well I got a call last week for another hive in the owl boxes, fortunately they let me bring the owl box home until weather improves and I can re-hive them into a standard hive. I brought the hive inside my house(everything is closed up so they can't get out) and they have really come to life.

Did I make a mistake by bringing them into the house?? I wanted them warmer so they would have a better chance of survival, the box is heavy so they propable have plenty of stores.

I would really like to put them into a standard hive right now so they would have room to expand and grow, hopefully they would get a early start for spring, any suggestions on what to do here??

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dcross,

I guess I was wrong... Ill move them back outside.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
now would be a good time to start that observation hive that you want.
Clint

·
Registered
770 Posts
You could just provide them with an exit to the outside. I've never done this but have heard that the bees know not to fly out when it's too cold. I have reoved bees from house walls/ceilings where I'm sure they must have been toasty warm all winter! I wanted to try this for overwintering NUCs but my wife wouldn't let me. :cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clinton, I already have a observation hive and have no other parts to build another. Ive exacted out these hives out of owl boxes and they are about 5 frames of comb inside. I will have to wait until weather improves enough to extract them and re-hive them into something larger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts